Thread: Passionflower

Roman Kurywczak

Default Passionflower

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this at butterfly world a few weeks ago. I have debated the BG on this for a while......it is a terra cotta pot. My brain keeps questioning it....but part of me likes the color contrast! Thoughts appreciated.
    Canon 1D Mark lll with the 180mm macro at f16 and 1/125 sec and ISO 400 with the MT 24 twin lights at minus 1/3......hand held.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

While I usually prefer shallow DOF, I really like that everything is in focus here. The symmetry and colors of the flower work well against the BG. I might prefer it a bit lighter overall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it very much as presented.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Roman, I love the flower and the color of the BG is OK but I think it might look better if the BG was a bit lighter.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

what a fantastic flower! your shot shows it to great advantage. the lighting is just right. i think the bg works, but wonder how it would look lighter. :)

Cindy Mead

wonderful complimentary colors Roman.. these flowers have so much character in their design. I like all of the details you captured here :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Roman, I think the BG color adds alot to this image. I like the sharp details and the very interesting comp.

Julie Kenward

I think we're thinking "lighter" on the BG but maybe it should be more 'orange' terra cotta and less 'red' terra cotta? I say that because orange and purple are the complimentary colors - is that why it feels a little off?

Other than the BG question...lovely flower. I remember the first time I saw one of these I thought it was the world's biggest clematis! They sure are spectacular to look at and you've really done it justice. If it were mine I might tone down the second leaf's flash highlights just a little.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very striking image Roman! Wonderful detail, perspective and love the colours.:)