Thread: Coppersmiths, first entry to BPN

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coppersmiths, first entry to BPN

Hi all!
    This is my first post on BPN..
    This was taken from the window of my parent's bedroom... a pair are nesting just outside!

Meet the coppersmiths!

Nikon D5000, Sigma 18-200 OS @ F/6.3, 1/200 s ISO 200,

I have done some fiddling in photoshop, dunno if it can be made better... I had to crop a lot due to the limited reach of my lens (300 mm effective).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A big welcome to BPN, a fine place to learn and grow.

Colorful fellows, nice angle in frame for bird on right. Exposure looks good.

The image quality is suffering form the crop unfort.

The green foliage in the background works well with the color of the birds, but I wish the left bird wasn't just in front of it, as he tends to blend in a bit.

Some noise showing up in the background.

Thanks for sharing, look forward to more.

Randy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy!

I don't I can improve the iq as of now, this pic was taken from 3-4 m away, can't move closer without jumping out of the window! :o (and the sigma doesn't give it's effective 200mm focal length at closer focus! Go close to fill frame and you lose magnification.. :confused:)

So it seems all I can do now is
    1)improve my general technique, handholding stability
    2)Go for bigger birds! :)
    3)wait some years until i can afford a bigger lens :cool:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the equipment does dictate somewhat what we can do. Bigger or tamer birds help. If you have ducks or other birds near by that are used to humans so you can work in closer, you can learn a lot. In the states we can practice on gulls or other common birds. Take any opportunity to shoot, even if not the most spectacular bird.

I have seen some wonderful bird images created at 300 mm (or much less in some cases), you just have to work harder to do it!

Cheers

Randy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Yeah, I'll surely keep trying!

Glenda Simmons

Very interesting and colorful birds. The criss-crossing branches to the right of the right bird pull my eyes away from your subjects, but don't know that you could have done much about that in your situation. Welcome! Love to see these different birds in your part of the world :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Simmons View Post
    Very interesting and colorful birds. The criss-crossing branches to the right of the right bird pull my eyes away from your subjects, but don't know that you could have done much about that in your situation. Welcome! Love to see these different birds in your part of the world :)
    Coppersmith barbets (Megalaima hemicephala, i think) are quite common here, you can find them even in cities wherever there are some trees.. Kinda difficult to spot in larger trees due to their color and small size, but the call is a very distinctive regular tunk tunk tunk... that's where it gets it's name!