Thread: White Egret Nesting

Eric Diller

Default White Egret Nesting

Every year we get 100 or so White Egrets nest along the lake. Many of them are sitting on eggs.

This one is in the shade giving me the look!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric:

Beautiful plumage and interesting pose. You might have been able to add a bit of plus exposure compensation to up the whites just a bit on head and neck, but always a challenge in mixed lighting.

Be sure to include your camera, lens and setting details with your posts so we can better critique the image and understand what you did.

I might consider some subtle vignetting of the lower corners, esp. RLC, to keep our attention on the bird.

Cheers

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see where Randy is going with the whites (and I agree they could be lighter), but upping the EC in this case would have mde the BG blue spots even worse - would you have been able to move left to clear those?. If you were close enough surely some flash would have done a good job with the shade its sitting in. Looks like a very elegant fellow, and those plumes look great.

Eric Diller

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I see where Randy is going with the whites (and I agree they could be lighter), but upping the EC in this case would have mde the BG blue spots even worse - would you have been able to move left to clear those?. If you were close enough surely some flash would have done a good job with the shade its sitting in. Looks like a very elegant fellow, and those plumes look great.
    To much branch in the way. These nest are tough to get a clear shot of. Didn't want to use the flash because it freaks them all out and I don't like to stress the birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric:

Dan is quite right about the effect of + EC on the bright spots of blue.
    It is always a trade off, and flash would have helped, if birds tolerated it OK.
    I appreciate your concern for their health.
    Many of the Florida birds don't seem to react in anyway to a bit of fill, but perhaps these guy are touchier.

Cheers

Randy