Thread: Dark-eyed Junco - Ole!

Julie Kenward

Default Dark-eyed Junco - Ole!

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another image from this weekend's snowstorm (which has all but melted TYVM!) I had just honed in on him on the edge of my deck when he spread his wing to take off, avoiding an incoming Grackle. Wish I had a little more DOF and ss but I'm fairly happy with what I got.

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
    f6.3 @ 1/400th, ISO 400
    Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, overcast sky
    Processed in ACR & CS4

Axel Hildebrandt

Neat pose and setting. I wish for a lower angle and a bit more eye contact. The bird looks a bit soft on my monitor, I'm not sure if it is due to motion blur or if more sharpening would help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aptly named title, Jules. I love the pose and the action captured. IMO I think the aperture chosen is OK. You probably needed a faster SS. I have always shot manual, but lately have been experimenting with shutter priority because the little ones move around so much.

Is this the same place you shot your cardinal?
    Last edited by Julie Brown; 03-22-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good looking pose Jules. I like the action.

Given the action, I think you squeezed as much dof as you could out of the shot.

The eye looks sharp so I wonder if a bit more sharpening would work on the top of head area.

Nice job on the colours as well.

Julie Kenward

Yes, Julie, they were both taken off my back deck (I have about eight feeders out right now so there's lots of action!)

I wish for a lower angle, too, Axel...kinda tricky from where I was. ;) Point taken, though.

Dave, I'll go back and resharpen and see if that helps. I was really more concerned with how blurry the tail was - it really gets lost - but a little more sharpening couldn't hurt. Thanks everyone!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Julie:

Most techs have been covered, but I just wanted to say that the snow here works better for me than in the cardinal shot. Enough texture below. Yes, a bit more above would be nice, but the amount in the foreground makes it work more effectively for me.

Randy

Julie Kenward

I totally agree Randy. This was much better snow than the cardinal image. Maybe I can clone some over? :D

Fabs Forns

I love the pose and the BG, the ridge makes it work very well. Shame on the movement blur.