Thread: April Florida Visit

Adrian McGarry

Question April Florida Visit

I am brand new to the forum but I am excited to share images and experiences with all in this community. To that end, I am visiting Florida for 2 weeks in April specifically to photograph birds!!!

I am putting together an itinerary which includes the obvious loacations: Gatorland Orlando, Alligator Farm St Augustine, Ding Darling Sanibel, Lovers Key and Corkscrew swamp.

Has anybody got suggestions for 'hot' locations for me to add to my schedule, I'm especially interested in Bald Eagles but not exclusively.

Many thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i know lover's key has specific hours. i might scratch that one and add little estero lagoon.

have a great trip!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would also skip Ding Darling and Cork Screw swamp unless you just want go bird watching and would add Ft Desoto, Viera, and Joe Overstreet check with Kissimmee Swamp tours http://www.kissimmeeswamptours.com/ at Joe Overstreet if your interested in Snail Kites. Also Wakodahatchee should have Least Bitterns nesting in april.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Adrian McGarry

Thanks to Harold and Don for your prompt replies and valuable information.

I have some time booked in the Sanibel/Fort Myers Beach area, I know this area from previous family vacations (when photography time has been squeezed between keeping the family occupied) and I have got great Pelican, Osprey shots at places like Bowditch Point, in around Fort Myers Beach and near Sanibel lighthouse. This trip is 100% my time :) so I want to pack as may opportunities in as possible.

Given your advice and my hotel booking can you suggest alternatives to the locations that you say I should scratch in this area?

If anyone else would like to chip-in with suggestions then I would be really grateful, by the way it's the last 2 weeks in April that I will be visiting.

Many thanks.

Fabs Forns

Adrian McGarry

Wow, Great tool Fabs - thanks very much for the link, I'm sure this will help.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adrian:

If you have the time, don't overlook Myakka State Park. It is just East of Sarasota on Rt #72.. It is excellent this time of year..

Dave

Adrian McGarry

Thanks Dave

I've Googled Myakka State Park - it looks good - and I've added it to my growing list of venues.

Adrian

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adrian,
    I would suggest Estero lagoon and bunch bch.

irispatch

Oh yes Myakka & DeSota are good spots. I caught a Limpkin family last year in Myakka parents with 7 hatchlings right down from the boat launch.
    South of St Augustine is Viera wet lands a great spot for Herons, Egrets, Ibis, Spoonbills some times. Carcara nest there, Bald Eagles, Osprey, ' gaters, large softshell turtles and a load of small birds.
    Last edited by irispatch; 03-26-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Kathy S . Gillentine

Bunchee beach is a great place to see skimmers, and at dog beach south pass Lovers Key is a great spot to find Roseate spoonbills

Adrian McGarry

Thanks Kathy. Roseate Spoonbills are high on my agenda as I have not managed to get any decent images on my previous visits.

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian McGarry View Post
    Thanks Kathy. Roseate Spoonbills are high on my agenda as I have not managed to get any decent images on my previous visits.
    If spoons are high on your list, try to book a morning with Capn James. I have tons of pics from last Saturday and enough to satisfy my spoon fix for some time.