Thread: Home is not Bad Either...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Home is not Bad Either...

Attached Images Attached Images

Headed down to the lake near my home in Indian Lake Estates. It's not Midway but it can be pretty good in early spring. Robert O'Toole and I did well yesterday and I had a great morning today. This, my favorite, was created with the Canon 70-200mmm f/4L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-7D (handheld on the ground at 280mm). ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/500 sec. at f/8.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic image Artie. Great background and wonderful shooting angle. incredible details on both adult and chicks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

DOF covers the subjects well and the colours and chick poses are great. I especially like the layer of OOF flowering plants in the BG.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Manjesh Lingamurthy

Hi Artie

Well composed and well exposed shot with lovely details on the birds. Mother feeding and the two chicks being curious with there heads up, gives a very warm feeling. It appears a little oversaturated for my taste. I see a tiny dust speck at right side of the sky, behind the crane(likey sensor dust). Thanks for sharing.

Manjesh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Home looks rather darned good to me :)

HA on both chicks is great and I like the good eye contact with the adult as well.

Exposure and sharpness look great.

I like the OOF flowers in the background. The OOF foreground bugs me a bit as one doesn't see things this way unless you're lying down...but I get the feeling that I'm the only one who thinks this way!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Low angle looks good from here, and all three nice and sharp. Colours look natural to me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

Quick question for you.............you say this image was made on the ground and I know you've had some back problems in your past. I'm wondering if you ever use or have used a right angle viewfinder for this type of work? If so, what are your thoughts about using one as opposed to direct viewing through the back of the camera?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot. Wonderful light. I love the low angle and the two visible cute chicks.

Did you use a hide for this shot? Or are those birds used to people like many other birds seems to be in Florida (I got to get to that place soon!).
    I can't imagine getting a similar shot of a Common Crane here in Europe with a 70-200 + 1.4 and without a hide.

Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colors and SAT look fine from here too. In fact, I desaturated this about 10 points. As for the o-o-f grasses, I did crop some off the bottom. What can I say Jim? I spend a lot of time on the ground and am not a big fan of sharply focused and rendered distracting foreground elements. :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian E. Small View Post
    Artie, Quick question for you.............you say this image was made on the ground and I know you've had some back problems in your past. I'm wondering if you ever use or have used a right angle viewfinder for this type of work? If so, what are your thoughts about using one as opposed to direct viewing through the back of the camera?
    Hi Brian, My back problems were in the long ago past. I had my major spinal surgery in 1991. Yikes! It's been great since then and even better with weight loss and proper eating. I have no problem looking through the viewfinder so have not even considered on of the right angle finders. It would be nice at times if I could get comfortable with using Live View...

I am using cousin Joe's image of my bleeding albatross bite in tomorrow's Bulletin :)

Fabs Forns

Great colors and light, low angle and surroundings. Great to get the two chicks in the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Jais View Post
    Beautiful shot. Wonderful light. I love the low angle and the two visible cute chicks. Did you use a hide for this shot? Or are those birds used to people like many other birds seems to be in Florida (I got to get to that place soon!). I can't imagine getting a similar shot of a Common Crane here in Europe with a 70-200 + 1.4 and without a hide. Markus
    I started in my car. I should have mentioned that I tossed them a bit of corn. At that point, I got out of the car. The adults came running and the chicks followed soon, at times too close for any lens to focus :)

Above is another that I made with the same combo. I do wish that I had put my vertical grip back on the 7D. I took it off to save weight for the Midway trip.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, Sweet image. It's nice to get the adult with the 2 chicks. The purple flowers are gorgeous and add so much to the image IMO.
    The second image is adorable and they look so tall. I like both of their poses.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll look forward to the bulletin ;-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So many fine elements come together in this image. There's a kind of sweetness about it, almost like a childrens' book could come from it. (BTW- A pair of sandhill cranes was spotted in S. Hampton on Long Island this weekend. Very rare for here.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Grace and all and Denise. :) The thing that I like about the Pane 1 image is the perfect placement of the two chicks. In the frame before the head of the forward chick merged with the neck of the adult. Whew! I wish that the adult's head were angled a bit more towards us.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, the poses, head angles and low angle make this one a winner. Superb shot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic images Artie! The low perspective and great coloration in the first image really are eye candy.