Thread: laysan Albatros beak- Sand Island, Midway Atoll

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default laysan Albatros beak- Sand Island, Midway Atoll

Attached Images Attached Images

While this is not a whole bird, remnants of birds were visible, but pretty scarce considering there were over a million live laysans at Midway. I only found a few intact beaks and only one complete skull/beak combo. This was found near the main runway on Sand Island at a location called Bulky Dump, which is near where we found the one short tailed albatross on Sand Island. I have no clue as to how they named the area and think it is best not to speculate.<:-)
    I placed the beak on a weathered support post and the dark part of the background is another one with some rust marks. All in all, if you can, see Midway, it is one of those once in a lifetime experiences.
    7D, 100-400 about 275mm
    Last edited by Steve Bein; 03-18-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, I like the beak and the post but the dark rusty area detracts from the image for me. The second week was even better than the first. I made it home late this afternoon:)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Fabs Forns

Looking at the thumbnail I though it was a bird stretching :)
    Very original presentation. You can lighten the dark area easily.
    Glad to see you posting, it looks like you had a good time.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting. Gives me a much better (and surprising) idea of how large this albatross actually is. I did not appreciate this from the great images that Artie has posted.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, Welcome home. How was the second week better? Should we reschedule again. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Regards,
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The second week was actually better than the first :) In part because I got to know the place better. The beach in front of the Clipper House turned out to be great for sunset as I had surmised. :)

I am going to try to arrange a two week trip late next April that would feature tropicbird and White Tern chicks in addition to the Albatrosses. :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.