Thread: Intermediate Egret

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Intermediate Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

Intermediate Egret Egretta intermedia photographed near Noosa, Queensland at Christmas.

Canon 7D, EF500 f/4, tripod, kwik camo, ISO 800, f/9, 1/1600, ec -2/3, cropped for composition, NR applied to background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, very sharp, good head angle. I like the low perspective and the out of focus water in the FG...were you in the water at the time? I have the 7D as well, and have noticed more noise at ISO's above about 200. Have you had the same experience? I often have to reduce noise in OOF areas.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for your comments Dennis. Noise can be quite prevelent in the darker tones with the 7D (especially if youn underexpose like I did here), but the noise is very fine grained and I find it easy to control with Neat Image. I applied a couple of rounds of NR to the background with this image. There was negligible noise in the whites here.

Attached is a 100% screengrab with before and after noise reduction.
    Last edited by Simon Bennett; 03-17-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Add screengrab

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Simon. How did you handle the selection of the BKGR? Loverly image BTW. A bit of bill clean-up would make it even better.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments Artie. Re selection: from the initial background layer I selected the bird with the quick selection tool and create a seperate layer with the bird only. I then applied NR to a copy of the background layer several times, and then placed the bird-only layer over the top of that.

Wayne Ellis

Hi Simon I like the ruffled feathers. Was this at Lake McDonald?? The coast has some amazing places for birds. All the best from a sunshine coaster

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wayne, Yes it is Lake MacDonald, I was sitting in it on an old flooded culvert at Jabiru Park.

Nate Chappell

Great point of view and angle with just enough habitat to really add to the shot, nice job Simon:cool: