Thread: Theft at Gatorland

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theft at Gatorland

Just a word to the wise I suppose. I include this link about a photographer
    who had all his stuff stolen at Gatorland. The thing most disturbing was
    it appeared to be a professional thief. I guess we all have to be more careful.
    I usually feel that stuff locked in the back of my truck out of sight is pretty safe
    now I am not so sure.

http://naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewt...?f=18&t=173669

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you were insured for theft. This is something that has always worried me, you never know who is watching.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Luckily it wasn't me. I just saw the thread and knew folks from here
    visited Gatorland and wanted to bring it to their attention.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't see the story unless you are a member.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can join for free to see the post.

Mike Godwin

For those of you that can't read the Naturescapes thread, we did have a breakin in the south parking lot on Saturday. A photographer visiting from Ohio had placed his camera gear into the trunk of his rental car after a full morning of shooting. He went back into the park for lunch, and when he returned to his car all of his gear was gone. Witnesses described a middle aged man calmly moving the equipment into a blue van, but no one thought it strange as many of us had just packed up and went to lunch at Cracker Barrel.

There was no sign of a break-in as the brazen thief used some sort of lock punch to get into the drivers side door, but remember, there was nothing visible in the car as everything was in the trunk. The amatuer detective in me says professional thief due to entry method and calm demeanor in front of witnesses. It is an unfortunate incident, especially since the photographer did everything right, placing his gear out of sight in the trunk.

Like most areas in the heart of tourist country, we have experienced a number of car break-ins over the years, but this is the first photographer in the three years since we started our program. The moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings, and if it ain't with you, it might be with someone else. While we have constant security in the parking lot areas, nothing is truly safe. I do not recommend using your vehicle as a storage area, no matter where you are!

I should also mention that Orange County did not send out a deputy to take a statement or even investigate, instead telling the gentleman here on vacation that he had to fill out an online statement. Personally, I'm not very happy about that, especially since we have a description, eyewitnesses, physical evidence, and somewhat who isn't local. According to the sherrif's office, this is due to budget cuts and an increase in property theft due to the economic climate. That's very little consolation to the poor guy who had his gear and all his images taken on vacation.

Judd Patterson

Wow, this is a vivid reminder to us all that we must be extra cautious! I am always a bit paranoid, so I might offer a bit of advice. To me my most valuable possessions after a photo shoot are my CF cards. I never let them leave my sight. As soon as I'm ready to pack up and move on to something else I'll load the current card into a carrying wallet that slips into my pocket. If I go inside...it goes inside with me!! The camera gear can be insured, but those images are not safe until they are backed up at home. Oh, and the bit about Orange county not sending out a deputy is ridiculous! I recently had a print stolen from an art exhibit and the local Miami police came right out...and my loss was quite minor in comparison.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Morning Gang. First off; this was just heart breaking for the man from Ohio, as i watched and listened to him . This was a "smooth" job, where the thief watched us all pack and load up our stuff, and then carpool over for lunch. Two things, i'm certain of, this thief watched, and observed us from within the rookery, and then followed us out; or simply waited in the parking lot and "reconed-us" then moved in. He did know that this entrance is used for the photo pass club, and was very comfortable with his surroundings per the eye witness. Regardless; this piece of worthless trash, ripped off a brother of the photography community! As smooth as this went, i'm sure this will happen again, as it took less than a few minutes, and netted huge "value" to this thief. Camera, 500mm , tripod, flash ; accessories etc.
    Mike, i appreciate your concern, and how you directed more security to that area following the robbery. I'd like to suggest, some video surveillace cameras for this entrance, with posted signs as this might help capture an "ID", or Tag number.
    I asked the man form ohio, to call me later with the serial numbers, so i could post them on BPN as an alert for stolen property. Having, just suffered a home burgalry in nov, this is a sensitive issue, and relates close to home. Thk goodness for insurance, however state farm wasn't happy at all with my claims. Please make sure you have your equipment insured folks, and take extra care, as we are truly living in some rough times
    Don

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a bummer. I have often wondered if any thefts had occurred within the rookery itself. There is huge amounts of equipment laying around unattended since some of us just toss our bags on a bench and then mill around to photograph the birds. I figure there is some honor amongst us so never give it much concern.

This thief must have been a smooth operator not arousing suspicion. There is always a presence of security guys cruising around the parking lots in golf carts and I have always felt safe there.

The local S.O. is a joke I might add. A couple of years ago my 50K flats boat was stolen from a storage yard. It was known who probably did it but since it was found in another county (sans engine and electronics) they couldn't be bothered prosecuting the guy as it would be too much trouble due to jurisdiction hassles.
    Last edited by Mike Tracy; 03-17-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fellow BPN'r said I used poor grammar

Rene A

If this happened during daylight by an experienced thief I only wonder how safe you are after closing hours when it's dark and the parking lot is deserted and the photographers come out when the park closes with all their gear. That would make a great catch for an experienced thief.

I planned on going Thursday/Friday (hotel is booked) but will cancel until I see Mike announces some security for the after hours photographers leaving the park.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the past I have been offered golf cart rides to my car by Mike or other Gatorland employees.

I am not the least bit worried about my gear if I am carrying it out to the car after dark--I would be marginally more worried about gear left in the car when it was dark. I would be cautious loading gear into my car and then leaving it in the trunk as I stop for dinner or for the night at a hotel.

I am sad to hear the news--but not at all suprised. Things tend to get stolen from cars in tourist areas--Cars get stolen too. My own brother had a rental car stolen from the parking of the Dolphin/Swan. The moral of the story is be careful.....

Alfred Forns

The response by the police is disturbing and does not give much confidence. Not showing up might give a signal to the criminals the place is an easy target. Hope they show more concern, would be the right thing to do.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Al, this was GRAND THEFT :eek:, and they simply kept saying, go online and fill out a stolen property. This is just total #$^$^*#. You are so right, this an open endorsement for "low on the priority list" :cool:!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i will definitely watch my stuff this weekend while I am at Gatorland

Rene A

If the police ignores the little stuff...the big more bold thieves are not far behind!

Mike Godwin

Quote Originally Posted by Rene A View Post
    If this happened during daylight by an experienced thief I only wonder how safe you are after closing hours when it's dark and the parking lot is deserted and the photographers come out when the park closes with all their gear. That would make a great catch for an experienced thief.

I planned on going Thursday/Friday (hotel is booked) but will cancel until I see Mike announces some security for the after hours photographers leaving the park.
    Gatorland has 24 hour security in the parking area, after hours is actually safer as there are no entries and the guard can respond to anyone entering the lot after closing. Security actually gives everyone a ride back to their vehicle when we leave, so need to panic!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike's that's a good point, i too agree, little to no risks leaving and being confronted by a "Thief". Actually of more concern is the "packup" of gear into your car, and then a drive up the road for dinner etc. These folks can easily follow you, and get your gear while you are in the resturant etc. Here's a perfect scenario, the thief sits across the street from gatorland, has binoculars and surveys you and your car, equipment etc, then follows you to the cracker barrel parking lot, it's a full lot so you park in the back or far side; you then throw down a great lunch, return to find your gear gone!:eek: Remeber this guy did this infront of another husband and wife photographer, so he has no fear.
    Mike thks for the update, keep an eye out for a blue van etc, he'll try again,his saturday "steal" was way too easy for him) alert your security guys. Also keep us posted to your decision on the video camera installation in the back, like your Vid-Cams are thru out the Rookery! I'm up for a "bait" the guy Sting with an empty camera bag, just do not know how to apprehend( safety issues), with police taking so long to arrive:confused:,however we could photograph him!
    See you Soon
    Don

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Also keep us posted to your decision on the video camera installation in the back,
    Videos cameras are a false sense of security I have 32 cameras in my store and in the last year we have had two robberies one armed, a break in burglary after hours, and I have one guy on camera ripping me off on 20 different occasions. The cameras have been useful in apprehending some of these thief's but are useless if the Sherif department will not come out to investigate a grand theft. This guy was a professional and would know how to hide his face with a cap and sunglasses and believe me none of my cameras in the parking lot are capable of reading a license plate number plus the plate would probably be stolen anyway. Do not leave your gear alone in your car and be aware of your surroundings at all times, as far as trying to catch him I believe my live is more valuable then my gear.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Beth Goffe

As a long-term NYC resident one thing in Don's recounting stands out for me in a big way. Putting valuable items in the trunk of a car and walking away. This is the cardinal rule you never break when you park in the street (or even a garage) in the city or you're guaranteed to lose your stuff. There's always someone watching for this scenario and they will take advantage. It's a shame this kind of thing happens where it's not necessarily expected.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For what its worth: The sheriff's office does not ignore the "little stuff". Presumably, they sent no deputy to the scene because there was no suspect. The online form should be filled out ASAP with serial numbers and as much descriptive information about the stolen items that you have. OCSO will run that information through a computer system known as FINDER that will search pawn shop receipts -- 99% of these types of stolen goods will get pawned. Hopefully, that way they can find your gear and catch the thief. Also, by filling out the on-line report OCSO will generate the auto burglary information the victim will need to file a claim with their auto insurance company. Also, be aware that under Florida law, the pawn shop needs to be made whole if the items are recovered; that is, the victim will need to pay the pawn shop to get his stuff back :(.

Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by David Gancarz; 03-19-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For what its worth: The sheriff's office does not ignore the "little stuff"
    I deal with the police on almost a weekly basis both for incidents regarding my store or calling for customers how need their assistance I have been working in retail for 20 years in all that time I have never had a situation were the police would not come to my store even for small stuff and BTW a theft of 15,000.00 worth of equipment is a felony not a misdemeanor. Their was an eye witness the suspect touched the car with out wearing gloves the vehicle should have been processed at the very least a statement from the eye witness should have been taken.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don: As do I, supporting LE in a large Orange County city. I concur, this is a felony theft. Rather than you and I debate this, I suggest we contact OCSO Sheriff Demings for a formal statement. One thing is for sure and that is OCSO has a public relations problem with this. I will try to do what I can to get the sheriff or his deputy to respond to this. (having all of my photo equipment stolen in in the mid 1990's, let me assure all those reading this thread that am totally sympathetic with this latest victim).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Inquired of OSCO about a statement. They likely won't comment about an open investigation, but you never know.

Mike Godwin

Just a brief update, I received a call from the Sherrif's office in regards to the incident. A very nice lady SGT. called to tell me she was investigating the handling of the dispatch, as it is there policy to send out a deputy no matter what the value of the item(s). She was able to listen to the entire conversation, and the gentleman who's gear was gone was given the choice of either a deputy or an online report, and he opted for an online report.

While I certainly won't dispute the Sherrif's dept, it is a different story than the one I was told at the time. It was my impression from the Sherrif's office that they are dedicated to serving the public no matter how small the crime, and I was impressed by the sincerity of the representative I spoke with.

Just thought I would pass this latest bit along!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike
    Thanks for the update. I'm headed to FL at the end of next week. This whole incident has been very unsettling since first reported.

Mike Godwin

Unfortunately Lana, it's everywhere. You just have to be very careful these days. Here's a new post from a photographer from one of my Flickr groups:

Yesterday at 4pm as I arrived at Green Cay the police were investigating three cars that were broken into. I don't think that they were photographers but be careful. Wakodahachee a few days ago and Loxahatchee a few weeks ago. We all need to be more careful every where we go.

1. Carry only what you take with you when you leave the car.

2. Leave nothing visible, Sunpass, GPS sunglasses etc.

3. Have what you are taking with you on the front seat so you are not going into the trunk or else where to show the thief where you keep things.

4. Most trunks have a switch on them that disables the trunk release. and locks on the back of the rear seats to keep the trunk secure.

5. When you get out of your car look around.

Don't let the thieves ruin our photography.
    Posted at 10:36AM, 26 March 2010 EDT ( permalink )

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow......more of my favorite places, too. I'm just about ready to leave all the camera equipment home, sit on the beach read trashy novels and have a few drinks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We had a great time at Gatorland last week with Mike and the early entry program. As we were leaving someone did report a friend lost his Tamrac backpack with about 2 grand of equipment in it. However the photographer left the pack on a bench and then left to go snap a few, about 30 minutes later he returned to find it gone. Mike and the security people were right on top of it rather quickly. I don't know how it all turned out. We did have a great time while we were there and will go back despite the theft or thefts. I do hope the property is returned. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I believe this was a mistaken identity issue guys, someone picked up the wrong bag, and very quickly returned it safe and sound! As i had spoken to Mike, about the weekend, and he mentioned this to me.
    Don
    Last edited by Don Hamilton Jr.; 03-31-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Mike Godwin

Hey Grady, was great having you out to the park. We did indeed have a photographer who was missing a bag, only to find another photographer had picked it up by accident.

Thanks for the update Don!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Our friend from NY cited the cardinal rule about putting anything in your trunk, particularly as you park. I often must leave expensive musical instruments in my trunk for short period. My rule is put whatever in the trunk when I leave for the destination, so that no one sees me putting anything in the trunk. You're almost better off leaving something in the back floor as opposed to getting out and putting it in the trunk, which says, "Hey look, I've got something so valuable that I'm putting it in the trunk."

Even if I've remembered to put my valuable in the trunk before arriving at my destination, I still feel uncomfortable. I've been know to carry a $30,000 guitar into the pharmacy, because of the concern for the risk of leaving it in my trunk. My musical instrument policy even has an exclusion for instruments left in the trunk at a hotel.

Tourist locations with free parking lots are particularly at risk, but grocery store and discount store lots are also high risk. Wal-Mart, Target, etc. all have plenty of security cameras, but that's of little consequence in deterence. Hotels are high on the list.

If you MUST put something in your trunk and you're at the desination where it'll be left, just don't do it. Lug your crap around with you. :cool:

I'll also reiterate the advice to be certain that you've got insurance for all your photo equipment and don't assume that your homeowners' policy covers you unless you've received a specific rider.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrible story made worse by the police response!
    My policy is that I leave nothing in my car even for a few minutes. I've hauled gear through WalMart and grocery stores when stopping in before or after a shoot. You should see some of the looks I get. :)