Thread: Midway #8?You Need a Big Lens to be a Bird Photographer: Right?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Midway #8?You Need a Big Lens to be a Bird Photographer: Right?

Attached Images Attached Images

I am in Honolulu waiting to grab a red-eye to Orlando tonight. It was an amazing two weeks. One of my very favorite birds on the atoll was Red-Tailed Tropicbird.

I created this image with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens, the 1.4X II TC, a 25mm Extension tube (handheld at 241mm) with the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 250. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/10. Fill flash at -2 stops.

By putting the tube on the lens and the TC on the camera I obtained the closest possible focus with that combination but needed to focus manually. I did so and waited to hear the focus confirmation beep before firing.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: You can see lots more Midway images as well as a feature on this species and creative vision on the blog here: www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful! I don't think I've seen too many good images of this bird.
    This close is very unique and original. The bill color and the black/white plumage
    make great comp, all together with a perfect eye. I love it! TFS

Judy Lynn Malloch

This is one stunning composition. I found all the background info on how you took this picture most interesting Artie. The detail and eye contact are beautiful but the composition is fabulous and almost took my breath away. Love this one Artie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it my friend. Seeing all the incredible images from Midway is painful because I really wanted to go. I love the tight comp on this, and use of the fill flash to take a bite off that obvious white sheen. Masterful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blanchard View Post
    Love it my friend. Seeing all the incredible images from Midway is painful because I really wanted to go. I love the tight comp on this, and use of the fill flash to take a bite off that obvious white sheen. Masterful.
    Thanks Bob. Maybe next year. I might do a two week trip next April that would like yield White Tern and tropicbird chicks...

ps: the food was killer and lots of folks were trying hard in that vein.... :eek: Not me though I did have 1/4 piece of chocolate cream cake with oreo crumb crust and whipped cream with a bit of soft vanilla ice cream on the last night...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

james branham

I really like the way the feathers look like quilted clouds, great contrast and exposure.
    Thanks Randall

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the tight closeup! The colors, details, and composition are lovely. Thank you for sharing!!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love my 70-200, this is unreal how close you got to this bird, 241mm :). Like the colors, details and how the black continues thru the eye to the other side..Thanks for sharing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful portrait. I like the tight composition, the head angle and the catch light in the eye.

Markus

Judd Patterson

Now that is a close-up! I've never seen a tropic bird, so it's painful to see one this close. :) The exposure is just right. Ive tried to imagine alternate compositions, but I really like the end result you have here. It feels like a good overall balance between the bill and the plumage on the head. Now we just need to step back and get those beautiful tail streamers into the picture! Midway has been on my wishlist since I first learned about the massive numbers of birds that nest there. It's an amazing place, and I'm glad to hear that you had a fine trip. I'll get there too...one day. :D

IOTY Winner 2009 Mark Dumbleton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The composition and exposure here is spot on Artie! Love the close-up detail and the eye. This is really well done, thought out and executed to perfection.

Glenda Simmons

The lines of this composition draw the viewer straight into this bird's eye...and just holds you there! :)