Thread: Dunlin in harsh lighting

Ian Anderson

Default Dunlin in harsh lighting

I shot this on the beach in mid-day sun, but thanks to the wonderment of RAW was able to salvage it. I had to push it 3 stops to get eye detail which I layered in but would like to get your opinion. Is this overprocessed and obviously poor lighting or did it turn out half-decently?

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500
    Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +1/3
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
    Focal Length 280.0 mm
    Last edited by Ian Anderson; 03-15-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Fixed image

Ian Anderson

Here's the original:

Geoff Malosh

The light is indeed very harsh and hard to improve in post-processing. Actually, even though there is no detail in the eye in the original photo, I like that version better... the light seems more natural and the colors truer, if less saturated.

Also, your bird looks like a Willet, not a Dunlin... the bird's overall size, black primary tips, and the thick, straight bill are the key features. A Dunlin is smaller overall, less bulky, and will always show a thinner, slightly downcurved bill.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice pose and the image looks sharp. The water over sand makes a nice surround. Given the amount of space in the original, I would crop to give more room for the bird to look into. Fill flash would have helped tame the contrast in the harsh light and introduced a catchlight to the eye.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Harsh light hard to fix!!
    I don't think it's a Willet (black feet) but I might be wrong.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you look closely the legs are gray not black makes it a willet
    Nice capture for the time of day

Ian Anderson

Thank you all for the great feedback. I agree, it is a Willet, which brings up a question - can anyone recommend a good bird guide? Mine in lousy and barely covers a fraction of the diverse birds that live or travel through Florida.

Also, I have some fresh marks on my flash and the back of my hand from my better beamer so I was leery of using it in the bright sun, but at the distance I was shooting a plain flash would've sufficed! I'll have to remember to always keep my flash and beamer handy.

As for the original vs. processed images, I like the saturated water better but prefer the softer plumage of the original. I'll have to take another crack at it.

Thanks again for all of your responses!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The North American Bird Guide by David Sibley. It is too heavy for the pocket but is one of the best around.

If you want a lighter one there is Birds of North America by Ken Kaufman. This one will slip into a pocket and can be carried around easily.

Dave.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I used Sibley's Birds Eastern US smaller the the big Sibley's. I also used Florida's Birds byMaieir as a reference
    Hope this helps

Forum Participant
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nat Geo North American guide is one of the better ones i think but really, can you have too many guides (looks at cluttered book shelf) LOL

Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hassell View Post
    The North American Bird Guide by David Sibley. It is too heavy for the pocket but is one of the best around.

If you want a lighter one there is Birds of North America by Ken Kaufman. This one will slip into a pocket and can be carried around easily.

Dave.
    The Sibley book is what I was after, thanks! I don't care as much about knowing what the bird is when I shoot it as knowing more about it when I get home. Judging by the photos on Amazon, this looks perfect.