Thread: Song of the Western Meadowlark

Kurt Bowman

Default Song of the Western Meadowlark

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favorite songs to hear is the song of the Western Meadowlark. It also lets me know spring is close by.

1D MIV
    500mm
    beanbag

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This has to be one of the prettiest shots I've seen. My only niggle is the eye could be a bit brighter. Maybe increase the catch-light size in Photoshop? Wow, that's such a great pose, though! Love it!

Now looking more closely, maybe the whole thing could be brighter, at least the shadows on its breast--or else it could just be my monitor.

DanWalters

Great color and nice clean background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice composition and subject. Good detail as well, with a classic pose. Although the image is a bit underexposed, the biggest problem is the side lighting, and the shadows on the left side of the bird. Actually, the same side lighting scheme would have been far more successful if reversed; the light was from the left, and the wonderful meadowlark trademark yellow wasn't hidden partly by shadow. Other than that, well done image. regards~Bill

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt,

Thank you for the superb shot. I love the composition and the eye contact. It has a pleasant background too. It also helps that it is one of my favorite birds and the first bird I learned to imitate as a kid growing up in Colorado. Keep them coming.

God bless,

chris

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice bird in a gorgeous singing pose.It seems that the light was a little harsh.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love everything about this; the light works just fine for me, bright and strong but that emphasizes the energetic pose. I can almost hear the bird's voice!

I have tried to shoot these guys in Alberta, Canada, but they always seem very skittish :(

Kurt Bowman

Thanks all for the comments. Adrian, not sure why you think the light is harsh? This was morning light about 45 minutes after sunrise. Can you explain?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kurt, you got this one in the best pose. I like how you have placed the bird in the frame. And a killer background. Light angle issue noted above...but at times, you cannot get all the 4-5 things that are needed. What you got here is really good. I think it does need a bit of lightening....it should be possible in RAW processing...keep an eye on the red channel though. Thx for sharing.

Kurtis Diffenbaugh

Kurt, great photo. Perfect pose for the Meadowlark. (Probably my favorite songbird.) I agree with Kaustubh that it could use a bit of lightening or at least try it and see if you like it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome singing pose. Good eye contact. Nice sharpness. As mentioned above the light angle is not ideal, but it's still good. I don't find the light to be at all harsh.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot. The open bill is fantastic. I like the light, the calm BG and the sharpness.

Markus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the picture, it brought memories of Visting my son when he was stationed in Cheyenne Wyoming and being woken up by the meodowlark just outside the window in the same pose

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous image, Kurt. I would be thrilled to have one of these birds in my viewfinder!:)
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

david cramer

Light doesn't seem harsh to me at all. Lovely pose and good detail. I can hear him singing away.