Thread: Egyptian Goose Landing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Egyptian Goose Landing

Attached Images Attached Images

Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Delray Beach, FL

For the past month and a half a pair of Egyptian Geese have been causing quite the commotion and attracting many photographers and birders. Every afternoon before sunset they arrive on the back island. They come in low and fast and pull up at the last moment .....landing gear and wings ready for touchdown. I have been there almost daily...practicing with various combinations of settings. Although I personally prefer a little wing blur....I am posting this one which was taken this evening. The lighting was great and the wind was strong and coming from behind me....which meant that the EG would have to come at me head on. Comments and suggestions very welcome

Nikon D300
    Nikon 300/2.8 VR lense
    ISO 400
    F/5.6 @ 1/1600
    Manual, Hand Held

Forum Participant
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good action and wingspread Ken, i notice a bit of an artifact halo around the image, perhaps from re-sizing for web?
    The whites are nearly blown but it's not too bad.

keep em coming!

Bert De Tilly

Wow nice pose and action,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a weird looking bird, got a picture of it on the ground when I was at Wako last month
    You have a nice capture

DanWalters

Great action. Like the position of the wings and the eye contact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I recommended Rucci and Conger attempt to see the birds on their Florida tour after seeing this shot. I don't think they'll be able to make the trip beyond their itinerary. The white bill doesn't fit Sibley's work. Apparently not related to exposure.

Alfred Forns

Hi Ken Killer pose and look !!!

You made a good exposure and got the image sharp/perfect moment. The sun angle was just a bit off but I find the image very pleasing and a keeper for me !!! Sure hope they stick around for you !!! Fun birds !!!

... btw there was one in a National Geographic Magazine standing up to a hippo, wings out head raised and making noise ... not backing down !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

All that waiting payed off Ken. Great action and well exposed with excellent detail and eye contact. Keep them coming !!!!! Congratulations.