Thread: Back from the paradise of biodiversity

Leander Khil

Default Back from the paradise of biodiversity

Hi there!
    I've been away from this great forum for much too long. I spent three weeks on an excellent trip to Costa Rica, photographing birds and insects.
    I chose this image quite randomly - it's still gonna take quite some time to go through all the photos..

Buff-throated Saltator, Costa Rica 2010
    Nikon D300 + AF-S 500/4, 1/320s, f7,1, ISO 200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good pick, Leander. Nice pose, love the perch and BG. The head looks just a little soft on my monitor, and I would wish for a slight up rotation of the eye. A wonderful portrait, and welcome back to BPN!

Geoff Malosh

Great capture. I really like the perch in this photo too. I think sometimes we try for perches so clean that they almost look fake... this one keeps the bird in its real and recognizable habitat without getting in the way. The only thing I wish was that the light was more even. As it stands the top of the bird is well lit (especially the top of the bill) but the underside is in pretty deep shadow. Still a winner, though!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful job considering the shooting conditions. Great pose and eye contact. Very well done image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Great BG, perch and pose. I would have probably been at ISO400 to buy more flexibility with SS and DOF but great result
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.