Thread: NE members

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default NE members

I have noticed that there is a number of members from New England on the list, perhaps we could arrange a get-together like the Florida group does, meet some where photograph and get to know people better :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Myer, I don't want to put your idea down, but I just returned from 6 weeks in Florida and there is a huge difference between shooting there and here which makes it easier for group get togethers there.

For one thing, you can meet at a spot and almost be guaranteed of subjects close by. Plan on Ft Desoto lagoon, there are at least 6 good birds to shoot. Up here, I often drive to and from a location without taking a single shot.
    Also, the birds are not skittish down there. One morning I was with a group of 6 photographers shooting the "famous" reddish egret - all of us within 40 feet. The bird ignored us. Here, that many photographers would surely spook most birds.
    I belong to another group (NikonCafe) and New England members have get togethers, bu it is to shoot an event like Chinese New Year or St. Patties parade in Boston.
    I like to meet up with a friend on shoots but groups tend to be counter productive to me.

Axel Hildebrandt

You could go to a place with reliable birds such as shorebirds in the summer. Plum Island shouldn't be too bad for that. The Mid-Atlantic people planned to meet at Barnegat, unfortunately it didn't happen due to snow.

Shawn P. Carey

Alan makes a good point about Florida vs here is Massachusetts and New England. That said I do host a Nature Photographers Photo and Video Photosharing Session at my office in Boston once sometime twice a year. The last gathering in November 2009 had over 40 people. Three years ago CDIA in Waltham hosted the event we had 70+ people. I've been doing this for many years now and is a big hit with those that attend. I may have the next Photoshariing Session in April, stay tuned. This event is always free and open to anyone that would like to attend.

As for photographing shorebirds I did try to put together a trip to South Beach last year and was not able to get enough people to run that trip. Mind you I was not making any money on this trip everyone was responsible for paying for the boat to and from South Beach. I may try again this year in August, once again stay tuned.

IMO if you wanted to have a group outing in Eastern Massachusetts one of the better place to try would be Mass Audubon Daniel Websetr Wildlife Sanctuary (DWWS) in Marshfield. There are two large hides/blinds each of which can take six people photographing at one time and blind #1 you could add a 7th person on the far left side. Plus in the summer there are are many Purple Martins and possible one of the best place to photograph them in the state. In fact I have the cover shot on this months Purple Martin Conservation magazine taken at DWWS. Plus the fields can be good for Bobolinks in May and June. So between the blinds, Purple Martins and the fields you could have many photographers at one time at this site.

Last note, Eric Smith and I will be teaching a one day bird photo workshop for Mass Audubon Visual Arts Center on Saturday June 12. I've been teaching this workshop for the past 10 years for MAS.

Now.....if the Red Sox can just get one more power hitter.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Shawn
    I agree with you in regards to the Mass Audubon Daniel Webster Wildlife Sanctuary. That is an excellent praise to have a get together and take the pictures. I wanted this years photo contest from the South Shore sanctuaries with a great egret that was taken at the blind on Daniel Webster sanctuary.
    So perhaps, we could organize a outing there , either mid May or mid June.

Shawn P. Carey

I was the judge for that contest with sanctuary director Sue MacCallum and Eric Smith and I attended the opening. Nice photo of the Great Egret!

Joan Chasan

I am interested as long as I am not away.
    plum island works for me too.
    Joan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry for late response, I wasn't aware of the post...

I think it is good idea and would gladly participate.

Cheers,