Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gulf Fritillary

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro
    ISO 400, 1/200, f5.6, hand held

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great close-up view of this butterfly. I like the colors in the BG and the red in the butterfly. I only with there was a little more room at the right.

Markus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allen, I think the best parts of this image are the colors which are wonderful! The OOF legs, antennae and the shadow across the head are all a bit distracting. Is this cropped much? I think it would look better if the eye wasn't so close to the center so more canvas on the bottom and right (or maybe left) could help.

Mike Moats

Hey Allen, I like the details on the b-fly, but I would clone out all the white specs on the wings. Great colors and BG.

Julie Kenward

Allen, the colors here are gorgeous! I think the wings of the bf look a bit oversharpened to me. The head and body seem to be fine - nice sharpness and good detail.

I also find the purple behind the head area distracting. If you could have swung around another step in front of the bf I think you would have managed to get a more uniform BG (that lovely lilac.) You certainly got up close and personal, that's for sure!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Allen. The colour combination in this is stunning. Lovely detail and bg. I would be so proud if this was my shot. I was thinking about what Markus said and wonder if you have more canvas to the left? If you do, try rotating the shot 15 degrees CCW and recompose so that the antennae point at the URC. Just a thought.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moats View Post
    Hey Allen, I like the details on the b-fly, but I would clone out all the white specs on the wings. Great colors and BG.
    Mike:
    I suspect you were just kidding, but aren't those white spots 'scales' that have been dislodged from the white areas of the wing?

I don't know bugs well, but I think that is what is going on.

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, I like the idea of rotating the image as discussed and giving a bit more room on the right and bottom. A beautiful capture. You should be proud. TFS