Thread: Monarch on Sedum

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monarch on Sedum

Attached Images Attached Images

Rather than the typical 'monarch on a cone flower' theme, I tried to capture this very common but attractive butterfly in a non-traditional pose with wings slightly up and shooting at the save level as the insect. The use of aperture priority, evaluative metering, and fill flash provided a good balance between the background and foreground exposure. Overcast conditions offer the best opportunity for creating images like this one.

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 300mm f4.0 + 1.4 converter, ISO 400, f10 and 1/80s; Canon 580 flash at -1 2/3, RRS flash bracket, tripod mounted, location-Wisconsin garden.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-02-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeez, who let you in? I love it, but for the near antennae which seems to be hidden by part of the flower. Is the thing between the two antennae a leg? IAC, I love the non-traditional pose, the soft light, and the colors.

later and love and great to see you here. Amazing how many friends one man can have. As I scroll through the galleries it seems as if I know half of the nearly 1200 folks already hanging out here...

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie--as you noted, the left antenna tip is a bit soft but then this is the challenge of photographing insects--they have a lot more appendages which can be out of focus vs. birds:). It is the proboscis that is partially obscured by on the of the legs which is unfortunate. However, it means that there is a better shot out there waiting to be taken next season!

FWIW, the principles of bird photography that you teach in your IPT's and your books have dramatically elevated my insect photography technique. I owe you one.

keith
    Last edited by Keith Kennedy; 01-02-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Alfred Forns

Hi Keith !!!!!!!! Sensory overload #20 !!!!!

Love how you set the Bfies with the flowers Just gorgeous !!!! Big Congrats !!!!