Thread: Great Blue Heron with Nestlings

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron with Nestlings

Attached Images Attached Images

It was a cloudy and rainy morning at Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Boynton Beach, Fl. Most of the birds were hunkered down and I waited this group out until the youngsters raised up enough to see. I tried several compositions on this one but I like this one the best even though it leaves the adult bird in the center. Showing the habitat reveals more of the moody scene. (IMHO)

Canon 7D
    Canon 300mm
    Canon 580 flash with Better Beamer
    Monopod

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting looking photo. The adult bird seems quiterelaxed about it all. I particularly like how the two young birds are facing the adult with a bit of separation between their heads.
    I agree that photo might be presented in a couple different ways, and a bit off the right would also work fine for me.
    Nicely Done.
    Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Good use of flash - birds show well against the darker BG. ?Steel-eye showing in the one chick and a little more eye contact from the adult would be nice. I think a vertical crop would work better. As presented the adult is too centered for my taste.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A VERT original might have been a better option and I too like the dark BKGR look. You did a good job of choosing your perspective.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.