Thread: I see you...

Deborah Hanson

Default I see you...

Attached Images Attached Images

I was able to sit by a Snowy yesterday for a couple of hours. A juvie - as it tolerated me. I was very lucky that a mouse decided to take that time for a stroll. Was able to photograph the hunt and kill (and one gulp eating). We had freezing fog again so this was later in the morning - the light was harsher than I would have liked.

What I would like is if anyone has suggestions as how to make the mouse more visible (if it can be done) - at this point it was not breakfast yet. Any other comments appreciated as well.

Thanks for help in advance. Want to know how to make the photo better (crop, contrast, etc). Not great with photoshop yet but took out the barbwire running along top of photo.
    ISO 320, f/10, 1/1600, EV +0.3, 550mm - with D700 and 200-400+1/4TC.
    No audio or baiting.

Deb
    Last edited by Deborah Hanson; 03-01-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Deb, how great that you had so much time with this bird and I'm impressed that you withstood the cold. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestion for making the mouse more visible; I zoomed in on it and couldn't see a recognizable mouse on my monitor. That said, the exposure looks good and would like to see some of the images from this session.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Deborah, the only way to have made the mouse more visible is to have captured a sequence of images as the mouse appeared, and up to the moment of capture by the snowy. Comp wise, I would crop off the top to below the horizon, and I would have placed the snowy in the right third of the frame.

Deborah Hanson

I really have problems with knowing how to crop. Was also wondering if I cropped half the bird off and had the face in lower 1/3?

Thanks for comments
    Deb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deb- You have exposed this beautifully. The subject almost has a painted look about it, which I like. I would crop in a little closer to emphasise the subject a bit more.

Re. the copyright mark, I find it very distracting to have it over the subject.

Deborah Hanson

Wasn't sure where to put the copyright. I can certainly move it (I think - that's another photoshop thing that gets transferred into Lightroom).

Deb

Callie de Wet

Attached Images Attached Images

HI Deb
    I'm not too good a PP worker, But here is a crop, with a high pas filter applied. I checked the mouse, but could not see it! Normally, if you want to lighten a subject, like a mouse that is hidden in shade, you copy that part ans create a new layer. Then choose blending mode SCREEN - it acts kind of like a double exposure over the image, making it lighter and bringing the details out. Be sure to fade the mode and to use a eraser set to about 12 or so to work off any sharp edging.

Deborah Hanson

I think the fact that there is trouble seeing the mouse in the first place - should tell me something. :D I guess since I watched the whole thing I knew where it should be.
    The mouse head is peering out from under the paw - close to the ground.

Thanks Callie - I will try your instructions.

Deb

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just beautiful!