Thread: Shore bird

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shore bird

Attached Images Attached Images

I have never attempted shore birds mostly. There were several Willlets working the beach in front of our house this afternoon and so I went out to see what I could do. Please give me your opinions on this shot as I don't think I am very knowlegeble as to the best way to take them. I had the lens as close to the ground as I could get it. The shooting information is below:
    Nikon D700
    2010:02:28 14:44:47
    1000mm
    1000mm (in 35mm film)
    Subject dist: 18.8m
    1/800 sec, f/7.1
    Mode: Av
    Metering: Multi-segment
    Exp comp: +2/3
    ISO: 200
    White balance: Fine weather
    Flash: Off
    File size: 61.3MB
    Image size: 2297 x 1747
    Color space: sRGB
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal
    Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wheeler:

The shooting angle is good, like the pose, nice composition.

The light is somewhat harsh, making the image quite contrasty. You might try a small reverse s curve in post.

The back seems sharper than the head.

I think you will have fun with the shore birds if you keep working them. Earlier in the day, or with moderate overcast will really help.

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes to harsh light, too contrasty, and also over-saturated a bit. But a loverly pose with the right COMP. The darker area in the UL BKGR bugs me a bit.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is no doubt about the contrasty light, but there was very little I could do about that. Artie, I am reposting an image that I addressed the spot in the upper left hand BG and I desaturated the whole of the image a bit. Do you think it is improved? I think I do.
    Mac

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is lots that you can do. Somebody above suggested a reverse S curve. I did that here, and added BLACK to the WHITES in Selective Color. It still looks over-sharpened but I could not do anything about that :)

After I posted it it still looked too bright so I did it again and pulled down the curve. :) :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie-
    Thanks for the effort on this. It is quite instuctional. Do you think I over-sharpened it? I used NIK output sharpener and left the defailts as they were and pained just the bird. WHat would you suggest in the way of sharpening? Here is a repost with no sharpening.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The posts and the reposts all look jangly/oversharpened to me. I just gave away a free excerpt on sharpening either in a recent Bulletin or on the Blog. If you find it, please post a link here :) I am in Honolulu getting ready to fly to Midway for two weeks. Life is tough. ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie-
    I will look for the aforementioned article and post the link on this post. Thanks for the help and I hope you you have a wonderful trip to Midway. A place my uncle knew quite well many years ago.
    Mac

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I just gave away a free excerpt on sharpening either in a recent Bulletin or on the Blog. If you find it, please post a link here :)
    http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2010/...aptop-miracle/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mac and Ilija, I am sitting here with Joe Van Os and most of the group getting ready to head to the charter hangar for the flight to Midway.