Thread: Northern Flicker

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Flicker

Attached Images Attached Images

D90; 80-400 VR @ 400mm. ISO 400. f/7.1 @ 1/1000s. -0.3 EV.

Another in my backyard bird series, posted mostly on ETL. A pair of flickers started frequenting my suet feeder a week or so ago, vying for position with the Red-bellies and Downies. This one was captured out of my back door during a light snow storm two days ago. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent exposure, feather detail, and overall tone with the exception of the red shaft, which looks a tad hot. I'd wish for his head to be turned slightly toward the camera.

2nd attempt to post reply. Server having troubles this morning?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, what a great subject to have as a visitor to your feeder. Comp works well, and I like the colours on the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

[quote=David Gancarz;455403]Excellent exposure, feather detail, and overall tone with the exception of the red shaft, which looks a tad hot. I'd wish for his head to be turned slightly toward the camera.

Thanks David. Agree about the red; I often have to desaturate reds as they come out of the camera, and should have done so here, especially since I slightly boosted the saturation of the whole bird; thanks for pointing that out. As for the head turn I would normally agree in principle, but in my opinion here this is about optimum; any more head turn would have lost the signature red field mark altogether.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill

I like the soft lighting and combination of complimentary colours in the bird and background. The head angle works fine for me as does the overall composition. A good overall result. I wish I had a bird this interesting visitng my back garden rather than the usual flocks of feral pigeons!

Cheers

Rich

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill: Good point about the red shaft being hidden with a head turn. I hadn't thought of that.