Thread: Black Bellied Plover? at first light.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Bellied Plover? at first light.

Captured this morning on Sanibel near the fishing pier. I am woeful at identifying shore birds, but this one appears to be a female Black Bellied Plover in Winter plumage to me. I was using a BLUBB in a Frisbee as a groundpod. Image is untouched except for crop.

Canon 1DsMII, ef 300mm f/4, f/4, 1/160, ISO 100.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice angle, pose and use of DOF. I might try to get rid of the dark areas at the top.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you use bi cubic sharper when resizing? The reason I ask is that there is halo around the bill.

Nice light on this one and I like the shell in front. Wish the BG transition area didn't pass through the neck.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Poor View Post
    Did you use bi cubic sharper when resizing? The reason I ask is that there is halo around the bill.

Nice light on this one and I like the shell in front. Wish the BG transition area didn't pass through the neck.
    Good eye Jim. Yes, I did resize with Bicubic Sharper, and it did add a halo on the resize. Original is fine, though.

Axel - I think I will clone out the dark spots. They are actually the pilings for the fishing pier in the background.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bob, This is indeed a Black-bellied Plover, I believe a first winter, that is a hatch-year bird that has molted most of it feather tracts except for some of the coverts... You cannot sex them unless they are in breeding plumage when the female is duller. The image looks overall dark to me but the COMP is perfect. I love the open shell forward of the bird but not the oof one just below and to the right of the bird's left foot. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice low angle and good use of DOF but as Artie pointed out, looks a little dark on my monitor

Blake Shadle

Hi Bob, good work on this one. Your angle is very nice and you composed the image well. I agree with the other suggestions on cloning, and darkness.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's a "fixed version with the suggestions made by all:

I definitely like it better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is better. The last step would be to work in the larger white oof shell in front of the left foot, and, I just noticed, the one on that toe too.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie - Here it is with your last suggestions: