Thread: reddish egret - suggestions wanted

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default reddish egret - suggestions wanted

I know the captured image could be better but I don't have a shot taken 1/2 before or after. This is it. I like it and want to improve it. Though it was a 1/2 before sundown the capture was still contrasty. The egret did not stay where I would like it to be so the sun was towards the right. I worked with d-lighting and control points in NX, and then shadow/highlights and selective color in PS.

Would like further suggestions - feel free to work on the image - on how to improve the image. I already plan on removing the white spot on the left wing (left as you look at it.)

Alfred Forns

Hi Allan It is a spectacular bird in sweet light Even with the off light angle makes for a fine image IMO Wish the bill was not intersecting the wing but the look and head pose just take over making it just fine !!

PS wise can try lightening the wing but in most cases turns into mush and not attractive, would give more room to the right if you have it and take a little off the top for proportion, you have a good one !!!

btw with these guys you need to move around in relation to the sun angle, they will be turning every which way so you will get some chances.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I will take sopme off the top and see how it looks. I did lighten the wing a great deal - glad you don't think it looks like mush.

And, I did try to keep myself between the sun and the egret. Besides the egret moving, I was kneeling in mucky water which made it hard for me to move.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allan, my first thought when opening the image was that it needed some CW rotation so you may want to try that as well. I agree lighting the wing more than you already did may not turn out perfect.

P.S. good low angle, and nice colours!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird and great light showing off the underwing detail!

Agree with taking some off the top and if the original will allow it, I think it would look better as a horizontal with quite a bit more room on the right.

As for the left side being in shadow, I'd say leave it that way or maybe lighten just enough to show a hint of detail.
    The image is obviously strongly sidelit. You will never be able to make it make it look like frontlighting without turning it to "mush" and attempting to do so makes it very unnatural to my eye as the direction of the light is still obvious. IMO, your best bet in this case is to embrace the sidelighting for the drama it provides.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beautiful lighting and the lighting around the eye area is just gorgeous. Love the action you captured ion this image Allan and agree with the above comments. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

deleted duplicate reply
    Last edited by David Gancarz; 02-27-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: delete duplicate reply

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a keeper. The additional room to the right works because that is where the action moves -- the water droplets are blowing that way, the beautifully lit underwing is pointed there, the the head is turned that way. All of which leads the viewer to want to look right. Very very nice. Well done.

cynthia walpole

I second the 'keeper' suggestion. It's beautiful. The only thing I might try to to darken the water at the bottom just a bit, specially the corners. I might help the viewer concentrate on that wonderful beak and eyes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David and Cynthia. I am on the road now but will try your idea of darkening the water when I get home.