Thread: Kite in flight.

Bev Barker

Default Kite in flight.

Attached Images Attached Images

This kite was happy flying over the top of us at the Kilder Water Centre, in Scotland.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the pose and cloudy BG. The exposure does not look right, though. If the original is RAW, you could go back and adjust the black and highlight slider. I would also prefer a more rectangular crop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bev
    It's helpful to post the technical data for your images....it can often help in critiquing. I like the flight shot.....nice pose and love the clouds. Axel's right.....something doesn't look right. It reminds me of overprocessing perhaps from underexposing.

Bev Barker

Thanks Axel and Lana for your feedback, unfortunately its not in Raw, and i dont know why but i think its something to do with the resizing, but my Exif data doesnt show in my pictures, i always "save as" and never just "save" but when i go into properties on the image there is no info there, so any ideas on this would help..il see what i can do with the original and post again tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bev Barker; 02-23-2008 at 06:06 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

You can reply to your own thread with an altered version of the image without waiting 24 hours. Maybe the forum software deletes the EXIF. You could add the techs by editing your original post.

Jeff Nadler

The granular look in the sky is puzzling as well. I would add that the bird'swing in shadow is not ideal.

Bev Barker

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    You can reply to your own thread with an altered version of the image without waiting 24 hours. Maybe the forum software deletes the EXIF. You could add the techs by editing your original post.
    Thanks Axel...I have gone back to the original and used curves to bring out highlights which helps at the wing tips i think, but as the saying goes "you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear" comes to mind here.

Does everyone use Raw?, i have tried it and it drives me mad spending hours PP'ing my images, but it looks like it is the right thing way to go.:confused:

1D MKllN - 100-400L f4.5- 5.6 IS USM
    1/1500, f9.5, ISO 400, @ 210mm.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Barker View Post
    Thanks Axel...I have gone back to the original and used curves to bring out highlights which helps at the wing tips i think, but as the saying goes "you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear" comes to mind here.

Does everyone use Raw?, i have tried it and it drives me mad spending hours PP'ing my images, but it looks like it is the right thing way to go.:confused:

1D MKllN - 100-400L f4.5- 5.6 IS USM
    1/1500, f9.5, ISO 400, @ 210mm.
    Hi Bev

The tweaked shot from the RAW image is a lot better to my eyes, a lot less contrast and much more detail in the wingtips. From my experience RAW does seem to be the way to go to give you the best chance of getting the most from your image in terms of detail, and i agree on the post processing time but what you put in you get out i guess.

John

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bev
    This looks so much better......like a completely different image. I learned a long time ago.....shoot RAW. It seemed like a pain then but now I can't imagine shooting any other way and I don't think about it taking more time.

Bev Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Hays View Post
    Bev
    This looks so much better......like a completely different image. I learned a long time ago.....shoot RAW. It seemed like a pain then but now I can't imagine shooting any other way and I don't think about it taking more time.
    Thanks Lana, the quality setting has now been changed in my cameras to Raw!, so im going to try and stick to it this time, just looking through this site at the astounding quality in the pictures here tells you something. Im so impressed.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the repost!!!