Thread: Bald Eagle

Floris van Breugel

Default Bald Eagle

Hi folks, this is my first post here. I started out doing bird photography 4 years ago, but over the last two years I've moved more towards landscape oriented work. Now, whenever I get the chance to photograph wildlife in its environment I jump at the opportunity. Here's one from Tule Lake this past winter, thanks for your thoughts!

Canon 5D2, 500mm + 1.4x tc, tripod/sidekick
    Exposure: iso 800, f/13, 1/1600th (reason for the high iso: I was waiting for the bird to take off, not that there's any noise to speak of with this camera at iso 800 on a properly exposed right heavy histogram)
    4 exposures bracketed for focus and blended in Heliconfocus for complete depth of field

NoahGaines

I really like the composition. The crack at the bottom right draws you right to the bird. Who is waiting! The extra depth of field really works well with this shot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Floris ,
    Big welcome to BPN and beautiful image to start with , I liked wide angle perspective very much
    TFS

IOTY Winner 2009 Mark Dumbleton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb Image Floris! Good to see you on BPN, and welcome!
    Love the lines leading to the bird, with super exposure!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN, Floris. You obviously put a lot of thought and time working on this photography. It has paid off with a very pleasing birdscape. I very much like the lines of the water and the bird is well placed in the frame.

Thank you for sharing and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Marina

Deborah Hanson

Like all the comments above, what really makes the image for me is the cracks in the ice that lead you to the eagle. The eagle is secondary to the ice but an integral part of the photo. For me, I think the eagle grounds the photo and gives it dimension, as well.
    There is a slight blue tinge in the ice area.?

Love eagles.

Deb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done.....

Floris van Breugel

Thanks folks!

Deb - yes the ice has a blueish tint, I like to process ice/snow with a cool white balance. In this case I also found the color contrast helped the warm colors of the eagle stand out more.

Deborah Hanson

Thanks for the explanation of what I saw as a blue tinge - I am new at this and it really helps when someone with a very nice image (a strong photographer) takes the time to explain their thought process.

Deb