Thread: Last light - Snowy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Last light - Snowy

Attached Images Attached Images

This Snowy Plover was photographed last year on Sanibel. The sun has started to touch the western horizon and the light has changed from golden to reddish. The light is so nearly horizontal that, while the bird is still illuminated, the sand it is standing on is in shadow. I selectively lightened the eye. I would wish that the feet were visible. I left the habitat as is - this is what you get on Sanibel and it is part of the charm of being there. :) The bird is standing on a beach that is sloping downward to our right - towards the water. 40D, 500 f/4, 1/160, f/8, ISO 400, full frame. Comments are welcome.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the light and the shells don't bother me either. I have been to Sanibel and it is what you get there. Good HA.

When I opened the image up in ACR, the highlights seem to be a bit overexposed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a super bird Steve, with its almost ridiculously large head! The colour of the light is outstanding of course, as is the low angle. The slope is a little off-putting; it's just hard not to think that the image needs CCW rotation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Sweet light and pose. Angle didn't bother me until John mentioned it! I think there are enough visual cues to see it as a slope in front of the bird with the BG fairly horizontal.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    I really like the reddish light on this and the puffed up bird. Sea shells add a lot to the image for me and though I understand other comments regarding leveling of the slope, the flat shells on the right side instantly make me see a natural rise.

Manjesh Lingamurthy

Hi Steve

This is a gorgeous image. Only problem I notice is that the lighter tones(highlights) are overexposed. Dark tones look fine(Look at the dark bill).

Manjesh