Thread: mountain zebra

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default mountain zebra

Attached Images Attached Images

Mountain Zebra are very rare,their numbers are in the few hundred.They are unique to the mountainous areas of the Karoo in South Africa.

D2xs 200-400 vr lens . bean bag and plate. basically full frame...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

New one to me. I really like the red on his face.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great light, details and setting. Thanks for sharing, I didn't even know they existed.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Peter,
    On my monitor the image looks oversaturated(compared to your other posts on my monitor). I'm judging by the grass and green shrub.........but the composition and everything else are right on. Since no one else mentioned it.....it might just be my old monitor!
    Well done,
    Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
    www.roaminwithroman.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike and Axel.........the Cape mountain Zebra at one stage looked doomed but thanks to some foresight and hard work the future looks bright....±300 or so Cape mountain zebra now exist. These zebra differ from the plains or Burchell’s zebra, by having narrower stripes, absence of shadow stripes and an orange facial colouration.

Roman....if its over saturated its not by much...I am sure your eyes and monitor are fine judging by your lovely work!

Tbh the mountainous area theses zebra inhabit is very lush and colourful in Summer and the light was fantastic when I captured this image...I love the way it showed the orange colourings/ markings on the zebras...

thank yo all for taking time out to comment:):)

David Steele

A lovely study of a mountain zebra Peter, but it is oversaturated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the confirmation David..:)appreciated ..have reposted , is this much better??

David Steele

That's more like it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful pose and composition Peter.
    Your 2nd post has a more natural look to me.
    Just feels right.
    Ian Mc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the help gents,,,really appreciated...its the only way i am going to learn!!:):)

Robert Amoruso

Peter,

The repost looks great. My only quibble is that one ear touching the mountains edge at the skyline and that's a minor one on this excellent composition. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Peter,
    Now that works on my monitor......very very nice,
    Roman

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Must agree its one the best images of the species that I have seen. Repost looks great!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just such a pleasing composition Peter. I agree the 2nd post looks more natural.

Ron Spomer

Technically excellent plus dramatic pose in great habitat. I believe this is the same Mountain Zebra they have in Namibia and it's now quite common there thanks to hunting pressure, oddly enough. The species was extirpated as the land was settled and converted to cattle/sheep grazing, but the demand for wild areas, wild species and hunting (and the prices hunters were willing to pay) induced dozens, if not hundreds, of landowners to decrease or eliminate their domestic herds and reintroduce native game, of which the mountain zebra was a big winner in the Hochlands west and north of Windhoek. The animals provide quadruple income as 1. Scenery for tourists and photogs. 2. Game for hunters. 3. Meat for locals 4. Hides for market. The result of this economic boon is dramatic increase in mt. zebra numbers, at least in Namibia. I think they're the most striking zebra, photographically, and you really captured that. Congrats.
    Ron

David Steele

The Cape mountain zebra of the former Cape Province of South Africa and the Hartmann's mountain zebra of Namibia are two distinct subspecies of mountain zebra Ron. Interesting to consider which is the most photogenic of all zebra species. I think my vote would got for the Grevy's zebra of Kenya, with its narrow stripes. . . .
    Last edited by David Steele; 02-25-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Mr Van Rooyen:):) and Steven for you lovely remarks ....

David and Ron ...just to correct /or update you , prior to 2004 both these mountain zebra were considered sub species , the Equus Hartmans and Equus Zebra are now considered species in there own right.

many thanks on viewing and commenting.:)

David Steele

Thanks for the update Peter, I've been working out of South Africa since 2000 and I missed that bit of news. It doesn't surprise me though.

Vincent Grafhorst

Hi Peter, lovely image of a beauty zebra, I have never had the chance to see these in real life yet. Btw I've enjoyed your vulture article in Birds & Birding, a good read with a few nice photographs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Vincent.....I am really pleased you like the article ..it was my first....fingers crossed it wont be my last.......:):)

Ken Watkins

these animals are now far less threatened than before this is due to the fine work of South African National parks (much the same as for all endangered animals in Southern Africa). They can be seen fairly regularly in Bontebok National Park, Mountain Zebra Park and De Hoop.