Thread: southern ground hornbill......

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default southern ground hornbill......

Attached Images Attached Images

The Southern Ground Hornbill are one of my favorite birds ...They are extremely endangered, and sightings are not so common so I always appreciate any opportunity I get to photograph them.... this was my first time to shoot them in flight....

Axel Hildebrandt

Great exposure control and details. Too bad he didn't fly towards you. I would clone out the blue spots in the BG. There is a sharpening halo around the tail feathers.

George DeCamp

Love the detail here and the way the bird stands out, also love the eye! My wish also is that it would not be flying away from you.

I'm sure it was a real treat to be able to get this image, well done!

Alfred Forns

Love the image Peter My biggest concern is the light blue area since it strongly grabs my attention Great seeing the top and so well presented Don't mind the looking away since it is the direction of flight Just personal opinion Very appealing and like it a lot !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for comments......George..:)

Axel... i agree not a lot i cud do about the direction he took off.... the blue spots will have to go ....will try clone them out...my PS is still basic....cant see the halos myself..can you get halos from smart sharpening?? :confused:i sharpened it 3 times in very small amounts.. be interested to know.:)

Alfred.....thanks for comments ...will try and clone out blue spots....still getting to grips with PS.... still only me second week in learning curve....:):)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with others about the blue spots...glad you agree too! I also see the halo along the bottom tail feather. Great flight shot though, and I don't mind the looking away pose in this case.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking bird. The blue spots should be pretty easy to fix and yes you can get halos from smart sharpening. You can also get a halo from using bi cubic sharper in the resize dialog.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by peter delaney View Post

Axel... i agree not a lot i cud do about the direction he took off.... the blue spots will have to go ....will try clone them out...my PS is still basic....cant see the halos myself..can you get halos from smart sharpening?? :confused:i sharpened it 3 times in very small amounts.. be interested to know.:)
    Yes, you can get a halo with every sharpening method if you select not only the subject but a tiny bit of the BG. Make sure just to select the subject itself and in doubt contract the selection by 1 or 2 pixels (select - modify - contract in Photoshop).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting and different perspective seen in this flight capture Peter - well done!! The light spots being blue don't attract my eye as they would if had been stark white. The hornbill looks a bit over sharpened on my monitor but still a striking image!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone....... i really enjoy going out and shooting... but i dread the PS bit afterwards!!!! :confused:

i must get a good but easy book to follow on PS......any recommendations welcome please.....but must be user friendly.... a friend recommended Tim Gray??? CS3 book... any suggestions welcome:):)

David Steele

A great image Peter and such a change from the usual portait or walking type of image you often see for this species. I was thinking about submitting a ground hornbill photo of mine but not after this one! BTW, the digital darkroom is half the enjoyment of photography for me.
    Last edited by David Steele; 02-24-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Correction.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter delaney View Post
    Thanks everyone....... i really enjoy going out and shooting... but i dread the PS bit afterwards!!!! :confused:

i must get a good but easy book to follow on PS......any recommendations welcome please.....but must be user friendly.... a friend recommended Tim Gray??? CS3 book... any suggestions welcome:):)
    Hi Peter, yes I fully support the recommendation of getting Tim Greys "Photoshop CS3 Workflow" I have 4 of his books and and also his "Digital Darkroom Quartely" which of course come out quartely:)
    He writes very clearly and easy to follow - similar to John Shaw, and that's saying something!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John ..just the confirmation I needed....will order soon....:)

David.....once i get to grips with it ..i m sure i will love it too...;)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great catch! Such a small morsel of food for such a big bird!

-Noel