Thread: Green Heron

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed at a park in Los Gatos, CA, last summer. For some reason, this fellow let me get really close. Thanks for looking. JR

Canon 30D, 400F5.6, 1/640s, F8, ISO-400, EC -1/3, Eval Metering

Alfred Forns

Hi John Bird feels tight in frame Virtual tail has been clipped Would remove some of the oof leaves on the bg particularly the one just touching the body

I like the beautiful bg and the fact you were able to approach him without disturbing Bird is reasonably sharp could use an extra pass of usm One beak is a big plus If you are able to find him again would try an extreme close up if he allow Just head and shoulders for a clean look

btw birds like this one are perfect for long lenses since you can choose to place a 2X stay away and would flatten perspective

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Also, this needs a crop from the bottom as there is less room over the bird than under. And the oof part of the tree on the lr is very distracting. Very sharp and yes, a long lens with a TC as Alfred suggested would have been great to help clean things up. Alfred: please explain what you meant about "One beak."

thanks and later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As mentioned a crop from the bottom and maybe a little from the right as that tree is a little distracting to me or just burn it in.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the comments. You're of course right with the OOF tree in the lower right.

But what do you mean with use a long lens with a TC to clean things up? In order to have a narrower DOF to blur the leaves?

And yes, I have one of these down the throat shots with this guy. Hope you like it and don't mind the double post today.
    Attempt at self-critique: background could use some NR and the beak's shadow is distracting. :(

JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Rain View Post
    But what do you mean with use a long lens with a TC to clean things up? In order to have a narrower DOF to blur the leaves? JR
    No. Using a long lens with a TC gives you a narrower field of view and thus "cleans things up."

For example, in the ORIG post, if you had had a longer effective focal length you could have worked much tighter and eliminated some of the distracting stuff around the bird by creating a head and shoulders portrait.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.