Thread: Cockatoo Parent and Chick

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cockatoo Parent and Chick

Attached Images Attached Images

Same nest as previous post - one of the parent cockatoos returns to the tree hollow to feed its young. Unfortunately the parent bird was more interested in its hungry chick than presenting me with a good head angle :(

Canon EOS 3, Canon 100-400mm, ISO 100, Natural light with fill flash, 1/125 sec F11, Tower/Tripod.

Alfred Forns

John since the birds are interacting and looking at each other I find it just right Would look odd having the bird looking at you

For a nest area this is very clean and clutter free Exposure is fine and love the raised crest You could always do some minor cleaning on the bottom but this is one fine image and love it as presented !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful! However, I think the biological interpretation may be different. I suspect there are two adults in the picture. Male parrots feed female parrots when they are getting prepared to lay eggs so if you saw the left bird feed the right bird it was probably male feeding female. This behaviour is called courtship feeding.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it but wish that the heads of both birds were turned a bit more towards you.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Lovely interaction John and great exposure as mentioned . I agree as Artie mentioned that a little more head turn would strengthen this image but I very much like the composition. Thanks for sharing.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice interaction here. Good job on the whites against the dark tree.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Beautiful! However, I think the biological interpretation may be different. I suspect there are two adults in the picture. Male parrots feed female parrots when they are getting prepared to lay eggs so if you saw the left bird feed the right bird it was probably male feeding female. This behaviour is called courtship feeding.
    Hi John, No the one with raised crest is in fact an advanced chick. I spent 2 weeks photographing at this nest and got to know the 4 chicks almost by name :) The chicks remain in the nest for 6 weeks so are quite advanced by the time they fledge.

David Steele

A lovely image John. These birds are such characters they must be a joy to photograph.