Thread: Carmine on black & white

Vincent Grafhorst

Default Carmine on black & white

Attached Images Attached Images

Southern Carmine Bee-eater with a passing zebra in the background.

I was not close enough to the bee-eater to make a good photo of the bird itself, but when I saw a group a zebras passing in the BG I grabbed the opportunity for a different kind of bird photo.

Image made in the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Botswana.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
    Av( Aperture Value ) 6.3
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 400
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
    Focal Length 700.0 mm
    Image Size 3888x2592
    Image Quality RAW
    Flash Off
    White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
    AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
    www.khwaiphotography.com

Steve Ashton

Great image and the Zebra in the BG gives a great idea of habitat. I think I would take the branch out on the left side which just draws my eye away from the subject. For me all else is perfect. Nice work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vincent...great idea.....have you cropped much already? ..if not i wud crop image so the only BG is the OOF zebra...then remove branch on left hand side.

PS i love the karma sanctuary .. but havent been there in awhile......:)

Vincent Grafhorst

Thanks guys I will try to remove that nasty branch!
    Peter, as posted the image is 80% of the original. When I crop as per your suggestion and have only a zebra BG, I'll be left with maybe only 30% of the original.... Guess I must look out for another opportunity. But I agree with you that it could be stunning. Thanks.

Alfred Forns

Vincent this is one of those images that we can make suggestions for improvement with no end in sight

Two things come to mind From your vantage point you made the best image possible with the time you had to take it
    Second making small adjustments in camera would not have been realistic

Would only remove the one little sick and leave all else as is Sure wish it was mine and I feel is one of those images that will make the highlight of a trip in years to come I guess you must think I like it a lot :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree on getting rid of the little stick upper left and wish for a nicer perch overall. Well-conceived and executed, esp. the perfect timing and head angle.

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Very interesting composition Vincent and I find the BG very striking. You did well to capture this image and as mentioned already a very nice head turn and pose of the bea-eater. Nits have been covered. Many thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking bird and unusual BG,nice work Vincent!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really cool. I'd get rid of two branches. The one "growing" out of the bird, and the one that just barely enters the frame on the left.