Thread: Baylands Recommendations

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Baylands Recommendations

I have to make a trip to San Jose in a few weeks and would like to photograph one morning at Baylands. I'm mainly interested in photographing shorebirds. Any favorite spots or access points? Also any links to tide tables for determining high tide for the area.
    Thanks and god bless,

chris

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure if you've made your trip yet, but here is a quick rundown -

Take Embarcadero Rd east from 101 and drive to the end of the road. At the T, take a left. On the left will be the duck pond, which features many duck species and quite a few hybrids (including Swan Goose hybrids). Many people feed there, although the signs say not to. Just beyond the duck pond is a shallow mini-lake (where a slough opens up), which can be good at low tide (coots, avocets, black-necked stilts, etc).

If that area is high tide, try to the right of the road heading out - it has higher mud islands, where many species can be found. You'll be a little farther away, but it can be rewarding.

At the end of the road is a parking lot and a walking trail to your left. There are several small pools to the east of this trail where you can find egrets (snowy and great), and more ducks. Keep an eye out for ring-necked pheasant - they roam throughout the area. Once I saw one roaming fearless through the parking lot - I stood about 10 feet from him and he didn't seem to pay me any bit of attention. Would have been a better photo op had he not been standing on asphalt! :)

I hope I'm not too late for your trip - I just joined the forum....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hank,

Appreciate the the reply. You just joined and already you are being of help. Good on ya! I didn't end up going to Baylands as I didn't feel comfortable going without any input ( I haven't been there in over 10 years or more)so I headed down to Piedras Blancas and had a marvelous trip.

Thanks and God bless,

chris
    Last edited by Chris Hansen; 03-15-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling error

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chris,

I've been looking at Piedras Blancas as a potential trip for a while. What is it like there? Can you get close to the elephant seals? Or are the beaches restricted as in areas such as Ano Nuevo? Were there any newborns yet?

Thanks for the info!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hank, There is a gravel parking lot with plenty of room right next to the highway. There is a fence on the bluff that separates you from the seals. South of the parking lot there is a walkway that goes down the top of the bluff a 100 feet or so. It is restricted in that you are limited to the walkways.
    You can't get very close on eye level to the seals as you are on walkways 10 -15 feet up on the bluff. It is close enough however to get head shots etc. I just didn't like the high perspective it gave. I went looking north of the main area a couple of miles and found a beach where you can get close to the seals and are near to eye level. The beach wasn't restricted but there was a sign asking you not to walk on the beach. But you didn't need to walk on the beach as a few of the seals were up on a low bluff away from the beach.

Right now if you check the EFS website most of the babies have been born and the seals will be going into molt. I saw plenty of young seals that were born this year as they were still silver in color. Check out my trip report in the travel and cityscape section.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

God bless,

chris
    Last edited by Chris Hansen; 03-18-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hank,

There are a few more images there on my new blog. Check it out

http://christhephotog.blogspot.com/2...ip-report.html

God bless,

chris

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great Chris - thanks for the info. I'll definitely try to get down there to check it out! Great photos by the way....