Thread: 2X Converter test

Alfred Forns

Default 2X Converter test

Attached Images Attached Images

Out this morning with my 2x converter and tried it on the 200-400 Posted one with the 600 VR and 2X combo a week ago From the limited tests I think it is a viable option One thing to note is in some of the images have noted an increase in noise on certain images Image made wide open for more critical evaluation All have been well exposed and processed Ideas/suggestions?

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Nikon D3
    200-400 f4.0 VR
    f 8.0 1/1000 sec
    Av -1/3
    ISO 1600

Axel Hildebrandt

Sharpness and contrast look very good, It seems to be a viable option. I'm surprised it has an impact on noise.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Axel. Nice image but would like to see it a bit darker. So much of that is a matter of taste.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Alfred Forns

I posted the image for purposes of evaluating sharpness Using a 2X is not a common thing with the Nikon system I guess the purpose of the post was lost

Presenting the bird as light as I did (Just a tad) would give a better look for evaluation

Terry Olmsted

I think it passed the test :). Being an 'expert' on ISO 1600 a little noise should be expected. The image looks quite sharp on my monitor.

Robert Amoruso

I looks good to me Alfred. I ordered a 1.7x TC today based on your previous recommendations.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would say the combo is a very viable option Al - excellent detail from my end and an interesting head portrait!!

George DeCamp

Looks good to me too Al! Now I hae to go look for the 600VR image with the x2 you posted. I wanted to work on this when I got back from Fla but my D3 is in the shop with a LCD problem. Thanks for posting it Al!

Blake Shadle

Looks really sharp on my monitor, Al ;) The 200-400VR and anything would be an option for me!! :D

Alfred Forns

Robert if I had to chose between the two I would go for the 1.7X The AF is much faster than the 2X

I don't remember but seems that the Canon 2X was focusing a little faster? When shooting up close I normally just go to manual The quality of the 1.7X is even better

Sure wish you could get a 200-400 Blake For the boat seems to be the perfect combination ..... actually it seems to be the perfect combination everywhere !!!!:D:D:D:D

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very promising result Al. The 2XTC looks pretty nice on the 200-400 when used in combination with a D3. I would love to see a 100% crop :)