Thread: Burrowing Owl

Mike Fuhr

Default Burrowing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this 2 weeks ago in while in Colombia. I didn't expect to see this species there. The evening light was great and he was quite cooperative. First post in this category/forum.

Nikon D50
    100-300 F4

ISO 200
    300mm
    F4
    1/500

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose with an intent stare. I like how is shows that an owl's pupils react independently to changing light conditions where human pupils react in sync.

I really like the color of the light and the distant BG The bright soil in the lower left keeps calling my eye over there. I might burn the edges and that corner specifically just a bit.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the pose,light and details,
    my only nit is that the BG distracts a bit the attention

Mike Fuhr

Thanks Jim -- I appreciate the input. When you say burn the corner, are you suggesting a crop? I like the detail of the soil in that corner but I think you are right -- the light color is a bit distracting. I can crop it and still keep some of the grass I like to see at that side of the pic.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

By burn, I meant darken with the burn tool or a highly feathered selection and a levels adjustment.

This is way overdone so the difference is obvious. I'd go a lot less than this for any purpose other than showing what I mean. . .

Basically, I drew a very loose selection around the owl (I'm talking no where near it, but matching it's contours roughly) inverted it and feathered it by 93 pixels. Then I used levels to darken the selected area.

When done in moderation, I really like the way this can focus attention on the subject.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice habitat image. I like the pose, eye contact, details and light. I would clone out the diagonal branches in the upper right corner. It might be a tad oversharpened.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice owl shot. I don't like the top right hand corner dark portion. The bottom left hand portion is bright and is distracting. It is because there is less of grass there, and is reflecting more light. I love the eyes of the owl.

Mike Fuhr

Makes a huge difference. I'll play around with your suggestions/techniques so I can apply it to future images. Thanks again for the input!