Thread: The Kookaburra

Bev Barker

Default The Kookaburra

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, this is my first post here so i thought i would show "Captain Kook" the Kookaburra part of a flying display at a local conservation centre to me.

Canon 1D MKllN - 100- 400L f4.5 5-6 IS USM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello and welcome! You can post up to 800 pixels now per the newest guidelines here:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=955

That would make it a lot easier to see more details in the image.

Is this a full frame? I'd love to see the bird a little higher and to the left if you have the extra room or don't mind adding some canvass.

The whites, especially on the head, are right on the edge of gone.

Looks like a good head angle and the flight toward you works well.

Did you do some work on the BG above the green band? I see some repetitive patterns there.

As Al would say "Keep 'em comin'"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi bev,

Nice first post. A flying Kookaburra is pretty dang cool! I like the non-sky oof bg too. The bird seems a bit soft. It would have helped to know the shutter speed and other technical data.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Bev Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Poor View Post
    Hello and welcome! You can post up to 800 pixels now per the newest guidelines here:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=955

That would make it a lot easier to see more details in the image.

Is this a full frame? I'd love to see the bird a little higher and to the left if you have the extra room or don't mind adding some canvass.

The whites, especially on the head, are right on the edge of gone.

Looks like a good head angle and the flight toward you works well.

Did you do some work on the BG above the green band? I see some repetitive patterns there.

As Al would say "Keep 'em comin'"

Thanks Jim for your feedback iv taken all on board!
    yes the BG is pretty messy isnt it, there was an ugly fence in the way so that had to go, and no it isnt full frame i had to do quite a bit of cropping with this which didnt help, also i dont think framing it helped.
    Here is one unframed and larger, and Kook more to the ledt in the frame.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like that a lot better for the composition! I'm sure some will prefer a touch more room above the wing tip, but this is a huge improvement to my eyes.

Robert O'Toole, has some super techniques on his APTATS-1 CD that would help make the removal of the fence a lot easier and cleaner.

P.S. I took a look at your site and you have some really nice images there. The sparrow and the mayfly is really nice.

Bev Barker

I like that a lot better for the composition! I'm sure some will prefer a touch more room above the wing tip, but this is a huge improvement to my eyes.

Robert O'Toole, has some super techniques on his APTATS-1 CD that would help make the removal of the fence a lot easier and cleaner.

P.S. I took a look at your site and you have some really nice images there. The sparrow and the mayfly is really nice.
    Thanks again Jim, il be looking at my pictures from a slightly different view now.
    Can you advise where i can see/get the CD or if there are any links to Robert O'Toole's work?
    Glad you like the site, The Sparrow and Mayfly is one of my favourites, but disappointed i was too far away, and the weather was awful that day, rainy and overcast.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert is an associate publisher and frequent poster here at BPN.

Birds As Art sells APTATS-1 (click on field store at the top of each page here)

Here is a link to Robert's profile where you can search out his posts here and get to his web site.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?u=6

Just in case anyone wonders, I am not associated with Robert or Artie other than as a happy customer and rabid poster on this site. I'll meet them both next month when I head to FL for some instruction.

Bev Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neiger View Post
    Hi bev,

Nice first post. A flying Kookaburra is pretty dang cool! I like the non-sky oof bg too. The bird seems a bit soft. It would have helped to know the shutter speed and other technical data.

Hi Jim,

Here is the technical data- Canon 1D MKllN - 70-200L f2.8 I USM
    1/750, f2.8 @ 175mm ISO 200.

Bev Barker

Robert is an associate publisher and frequent poster here at BPN.

Birds As Art sells APTATS-1 (click on field store at the top of each page here)

Here is a link to Robert's profile where you can search out his posts here and get to his web site.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?u=6

Just in case anyone wonders, I am not associated with Robert or Artie other than as a happy customer and rabid poster on this site. I'll meet them both next month when I head to FL for some instruction.
    Thanks Jim for the link il take a looksie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bev
    I like the repost.....much better. I have to admit that this is the first Kookaburra flight image that I've seen.....pretty cool. So...is this bird a captive and trained.....I just never would have imagined jessops on such a bird. Any information/history will certainly add to this image.

Bev Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Hays View Post
    Bev
    I like the repost.....much better. I have to admit that this is the first Kookaburra flight image that I've seen.....pretty cool. So...is this bird a captive and trained.....I just never would have imagined jessops on such a bird. Any information/history will certainly add to this image.
    Hi Lana thanks, yes he is captive and trained, and loves people, he was rescued from someone who thought they could cope, but.. like alot of people that take on birds of prey often find its harder, and more demanding than they first thought, so the conservation centre took him on and as he was hand reared, and dependent on humans he was trained to the glove and now flys daily, and walks about on the arm of anyone who will let him go there!, he loves coming out and performing to visitors as his extremely loud laughing call lets everyone know:eek:.
    Kookaburras are part of the Kingfisher family, and eat the same diet, although they do tend to scavange more and their diet is quite varied.

Here he is on one of the handlers arm.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bev
    Thanks so much for the information........he is darling. I can see where he'd be a handful for someone who didn't think through what they were getting into. Do many people take on Kookaburra's.......it just seems so different. I saw them many years ago when I was in Australia and just loved them. Since then I have seen them in a couple of aviaries here. Your image with the handler shows how big they are.......something that some people don't think about.

Bev Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Hays View Post
    Bev
    Thanks so much for the information........he is darling. I can see where he'd be a handful for someone who didn't think through what they were getting into. Do many people take on Kookaburra's.......it just seems so different. I saw them many years ago when I was in Australia and just loved them. Since then I have seen them in a couple of aviaries here. Your image with the handler shows how big they are.......something that some people don't think about.
    As far as im aware Lana, here in the UK they are rare, there are a few breeding pairs (one at our conservation centre) but they are'nt easy to get to breed in captivity, we shall soon find out if our pair is co-operating, they seem to be smitten with each other, and their young will be due about April if all goes well.
    They are quite large, a lot larger than our Kingfisher and the beak is very powerful, easily severing a finger if one got in the way!:eek:

Since i have got to know these birds, they have become a favourite of mine,.. big bird, even bigger personalities.