Thread: 800 Handheld for Flight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 800 Handheld for Flight

Attached Images Attached Images

This landing Great Egret was photographed calling in flight with the handheld 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/2000 sec. at f/6.3 set manually.

Denise Ippolito and I were out on Ron Mayberry's boat photographing at Rookery Island in Sarasota Bay with Lou Newman. We had clear skies with east winds. Pretty darned good.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do see the halo around the bill :) :) :) but upload times here in Fort Myers are too slow for a re-do.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool!
    Great head angle and "disembodied" wing adds a nice graphic element.
    Maybe take a sliver off the top?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How much was done in PS?

Szimi

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like it as is. Watch your back handholding such a big lens.:eek:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sharp for hand-holding such a big combo and excellent action captured. Good colors and the exposure is right on - as usual. The dark line at the edge of the throat and neck seems rather pronounced and is catching my eye - was it this evident in the original?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I saw this shot during your presentation in Sarasota last night. Thank you again for coming down.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Wow this is so sharp with awesome mating colors. Really like the open beak too but the eye puts over the top. Beautiful capture and composition Artie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, bet you needed a lie down after hand holding that beast...... LOL

The dark line (already mentioned) was the first thing I noticed about this image (easily fixed I am sure)

What I love about the image is the lines created by the wing and neck of the bird and the way they cross.... Works really well...

Sudhanshu Nafde

Wow.... A very different perspective.... but its pleasing... i loved the eye specially....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szimuly View Post
    How much was done in PS? Szimi
    Hi Gyorgy, Not much, a small crop and a Linear Burn on the brightest whites.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maxson View Post
    Very sharp for hand-holding such a big combo and excellent action captured. Good colors and the exposure is right on - as usual. The dark line at the edge of the throat and neck seems rather pronounced and is catching my eye - was it this evident in the original?
    Thanks Steve, The dark line, which was evident in the original, is likely a shadow... It was darkened a bit during processing.