Thread: GBH

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default GBH

Attached Images Attached Images

This Great Blue Heron was hunting in the creek at Andrew Hayden Park in Ottawa, Ontario. I will show you his catch tomorrow.

A700+Sigma 120-400, 400mm, 1/1500, f/5.6, ISO 500

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jeff. I know this guy quite well...very cooperative at times wasn't it! Andrew Haydon Park has hosted at least one cooperative GBH every year recently, especially late summer/early fall. Hopefully the trend will continue this year!:cool:

The harsh light has created a very contrasty look to your image, including what looks like a blown patch on the face. Try heading down there early morning or late afternoon for softer (and warmer) light. I would also take advantage of the zoom capabilities of your lens to get the complete bird in the frame. I wouldn't mind the cut legs, but there is so little space for the water separating the legs and frame.

I can't wait to see what this guy caught.....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't add much to Daniel's excellent critique.
    Good job under the tough conditions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Reducing the contrast with a reverse S curve and cutting down the SAT and the sharpening would help a ton :)

See Dan's comments on zooming out.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.