Thread: Green Parrot

Aiden Blake

Default Green Parrot

I found this group of wild parrots flying around one morning while on holiday in Florida. They buzzed my head and then landed on the ground in front of me. It's the first time I've ever seen wild parrots. Must have been flying south to Costa Rica or something.

Anyways, I crouched down low to get a better angle and DOF. What do you think of this?

Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
    Lens: Sigma 150-500mm OS
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 500.0mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO equiv: 800

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks like a Monk Parakeet, Aiden and there are resident colonies in Florida. I like your low angle. The exposure and sharpness look good. With the bird looking to the left, it may have been better to have less room on the right of the frame and more on the left. I would suggest cropping what looks like a concrete curb at the bottom of the frame. You might also consider cropping the dark band at the top of the frame. :) Keep them coming.

Aiden Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maxson View Post
    This looks like a Monk Parakeet, Aiden and there are resident colonies in Florida. I like your low angle. The exposure and sharpness look good. With the bird looking to the left, it may have been better to have less room on the right of the frame and more on the left. I would suggest cropping what looks like a concrete curb at the bottom of the frame. You might also consider cropping the dark band at the top of the frame. :) Keep them coming.
    Interesting, I thought about cropping but decided to leave the curbs in to help frame the bird. I'll give it a shot and see how it looks though - that just might work.

Judd Patterson

Steve is right, this is a Monk Parakeet. They are escapees/releases from the pet trade and they live in most major cities in the United States. I know they even survive Chicago winters, so I suspect that a few could live in Vancouver. I agree that it would be nice to have more room on the left side to balance the birds glance in that direction. I've never been in the right place at the right time to photograph this species, so good job to capture an image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monk Parakeets

They are thriving here in CT! You should see the size of their stick nests, whole colonies share the same nest!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your name ;)

Nice low angle, colors, and sharpness. I agree about the crop, and might have shot this wide open to get the background a little more out of focus.

Keep them coming!