Thread: The "Clouds" brush

Fabs Forns

Default The "Clouds" brush

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been playing with adding colors and clouds to drab BGs and used PS's Filter>Render>Clouds with soft light as a blending mode in this post:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...ad.php?t=56300

I workeed this sky in the posting size, and unfortunately noticed (duhhhhh) that if you tried this on the full size image, you'd get very small clouds on a repeating pattern. In my quest to find a solution, I came across this site:

http://www.brusheezy.com/brush/473-Cloud-Brushes

where someone generously shares his cloud brushes for free. You can increase or decrease the size of the brush according to your needs. I though it was pretty cool. Brushes are supposed to go up to 1600 pixels but I went larger and they were fine. I did it over the bird, thinking of masking it afterward but in general liked the lighter look so I created a layer mask and painted black at a low opacity to keep the look without showing clouds.
    What do you guys think????

Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    Lens (mm): 370
    ISO: 500
    Aperture: 7.1
    Shutter: 1/1000
    Program: Manual

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

that is really cool!!! love the light on the bird. there's just enough of a pinkish hue in the lower left to make it look natural.

gonna check out those brushes now. thanks for the info!!!

Aiden Blake

I like the idea behind this, and the bird itself is fantastic, but the grey unsaturated clouds don't suit the light that is on the bird.

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden Blake View Post
    I like the idea behind this, and the bird itself is fantastic, but the grey unsaturated clouds don't suit the light that is on the bird.
    Thanks, Aiden. Interestingly enough, the clouds are white, the gray is the actual color of the sky at the time of capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs, the bird is heaven!

However, the background perhaps through the technique appears like it has a lot of noise or perhaps it is just the texture that I am not used to.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Fabs Forns

Jay, it may be the text of the brush, some selective noise reduct should take care of that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an interesting treatment, Fabs. I would agree with Jay about the "graininess" of the clouds. The light on the bird is wonderful and the pose and sharpness are also first rate. I may be an old stick-in-the-mud, but I think I prefer the original. :) :) Different strokes, I guess.

Aiden Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Thanks, Aiden. Interestingly enough, the clouds are white, the gray is the actual color of the sky at the time of capture.
    Hmm, that's cool. I like your original too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good exercise!
    I like the result and would like to give it try once I have more spare time available.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes I do like the result Fabs! has spiced up the original nicely...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE