Thread: Northern Shrike

Jeff Nadler

Default Northern Shrike

Wintering from the arctic, I found this bird close to home, hunting from a thorn-filled shrub. I am wondering how much the branch crossing the bird is viewed as a negative? I feel it is not ideal but adds color. It could be cloned out perhaps but then leaves a weaker dark perch and a rather sterile habitat.

Canon 500mm F4 IS x 2 on 40D meant manual focus, a bit of fill flash, ISO 400, F8 of course. From parked car.
    Last edited by Jeff Nadler; 02-08-2010 at 10:50 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff,

What a beautiful bird. I love the pose, the clarity, and the exposure which looks to me to be right on the money. I do think the branch does detract some. I wish we could move it just below the bird. (no problem, right?) Oh well, if wishes were nickels I'd be pretty rich. Keep them coming.

Dan

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Very sharp and I like the pose. The branch does detract some, howver it is a good idea of the habitat the birds are often in or around. We have had more than normal numbers of shrike around this winter and I have often seen them in or near the same locations over a period of several days. Nicely done on the colours. Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff, I like the pose and open beak. Your exposure looks good to me. As far as the branch crossing the bird is concerned I find it a little distracting but I can live with it. The bigger issue for me is the out-of-focus brown blob. In my opinion it makes the image heavy on the left.