Default Ring-Necked Duck

Attached Images Attached Images

Agua Caliente Park, Tucson

Canon 20D, 1/4000th, Ev, -1/10th stop compensation, ISO 800
    Sigma 50-500 / 417mm @ f/ 6.3, handheld
    WB, crop & rotate in ACR, very slight levels & sharpening in PS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely done but you needed to press the shutter button one second earlier. Do you know why?

In addition, the bird needs to be back a bit in the frame.

How does this park compare to Gilbert Riparian? Will I be meeting you on SAT March 8?

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Very nicely done but you needed to press the shutter button one second earlier. Do you know why? . . .

Later and love, artie
    To keep the tip of the bill from exiting the light area into the dark?

Very nice image btw :D

Fabs Forns

Very nice image, eye is sharp, a difficult thing with these ducks, wish for the bird back in the frame, to leave more space for him to swim into, and you should always be aware of the changes in water color when working in circumstance like this one.
    Love the water drops on his face.

Richard Kowalski

Thanks all.

Artie, I think Jim jumped the gun a little bit, but has the correct answer, to keep the tip of the bill from entering the darker toned water.
    This frame is cropped a bit and I do have additional room that I can take advantage of in front of the bird. In fact my original crop had more space in front, but I thought it was a bit excessive. Apparently my first inclination was correct.

I do have a few frames previous to this one, but chose this image over the others because the eye was a little soft or the head angle was not correct.

As for Agua Caliente being similar to Gilbert Riparian, I have not yet been to GR, but looking at the "Friends" website, they do appear similar. A little more background on Agua Caliente, it is the site of one of the many perpetually flowing springs in SE Arizona. As can be inferred by the name, it is a hot spring, flowing at 87 degrees F year round.

It is a great place when in SE Arizona to see both waterbirds and desert birds within a short, easy walk.

Here is the "official" webpage:
    http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/places/agua_pk/index.htm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I thought we were off and running with one of Artie's quizzes. Hope I didn't steal your thunder:o

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle and head position here. Good job on the exposure too. I wish the dark area on the right wasn't part of the bg and that the bird was more left in the frame.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Richard, No gun jumping by Jim; the question was open to all. And yes, he was correct. IAC, there is more room behind the bird than in front of the bird and that rarely works, esp. when the bird is looking straight ahead.

Thanks for the info on the park. You missed my Q about March 8th?

later and love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Richard Kowalski

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Richard, No gun jumping by Jim; the question was open to all. And yes, he was correct. IAC, there is more room behind the bird than in front of the bird and that rarely works, esp. when the bird is looking straight ahead.

Thanks for the info on the park. You missed my Q aboutMarch 8th?

later and love, artie
    OK,

the eye in this one was a little softer than the one I chose to post originally. Even though I worked it a bit more with the Smart Sharpen tool, you can still tell when they are side by side.

I liked the green sheen on the neck a little better in the original too.

I see what all meant by having the bird further back in the frame and not having the dark band of water on the right intruding does make this a much better image. Just wish I had a sharper eye.

Same details as the original post, but shows some new compression artifacts.

(Artie's question about the 8th answered via private email...)
    Last edited by Richard Kowalski; 02-22-2008 at 11:37 AM.