Thread: More Flowers for My Wife (Part 2)

Ed Vatza

Default More Flowers for My Wife (Part 2)

Plucked another stem from the vase made a few more images.

Rebel XT, Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro, 430 EX Flash, Tripod-mounted

2.0 sec at f/22, ISO 400, EC +1, Flash

Last edited by Ed Vatza; 02-21-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Robert Amoruso

Ed,

I like this composition a lot. Half the flower coming in at the left and black BG on the right. Interesting balance. It works for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unusual flower composition Ed showing excellent detail - good light control on the whites!!

Ed Vatza

Thank you Robert. Thank you John. I am pleased with how this image turned out. I like the way the flower juxtaposes with the black background.

If you look at the thumbnail you will see more black to the right. After originally posting last night I quickly went back in and cropped a bit from the right because it looked like too much black to me. I think the cropped image (as posted here) looks much better!

Robert O'Toole

Clean and attractive image, different and pleasing composition.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Ed, I like the comp, and good job on the whites. Water drops always add a nice touch. I agree with your idea to do the crop on the right.

Ed Vatza

Thanks Robert. Thanks Mike.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I tried a number of different compositions and liked this one the best. I did feel it was a bit different and I thought the white on black worked real well particularly after I cropped a bit of the black from the right. It seemed to balance the image better. And the fact that I managed not to blow out the whites was icing on the cake! :D

Gotta tell you a funny story. As I said, I am relatively new at this macro photography. My wife goes along with these things and when I wanted to buy a macro lens as a Christmas gift, she was very cool with it. So she looks at this image and asks me why I bought a lens that will allow me to only fit half the flower? :confused: Guess I have some explaining to do! ;)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great choice of composition and the contrast between the dark BG and the white flower with those lovely water-droplets works well here!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel