Thread: Gatorland Great Egret Preening

Mike Godwin

Default Gatorland Great Egret Preening

Nikon D300 with Nikkor 70-200 lens 1/250 f16 ISO 400 built-in flash used Full Frame image

Haven't really used my camera since last Birding Season, but now that I'm back in the Rookery I figured I would knock some rust off. Taken at Gatorland in Orlando, Florida 2/4/2010 @ 8:29am.

Mike Godwin
    Gatorland

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is gorgeous! one question. We will be down there the first week of April for my first time. Is there a certain direction that the shooting takes place, say to the east or west, or does the walkway circle the entire area? Thanks, Gary. Really enjoyed your images on the website!

Mike Godwin

Hi Gary! The Gatorland Rookery is basically a big 10 acre rectangle with water in the middle. A raised wooden boardwalk runs along the entire western side. While nesting activity occurs all around, most of the action is found on the northern half, both east and west of the walkway. Depending upon conditions, the east bank is tough to shoot against the rising sun, and the west side gets harder as the sun sets. I have several shots of the Rookery on the Gatorland Rookery Blog... just click on the link in my signature.

And by the way... thanks! Glad you enjoyed my pics :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike, Interesting pose and perspective which I like. Nice detail in the whites. One small smudge to take care of right side down 1/3.

Picked up my pass Wednesday. Hope to see you out there soon.

Mike Godwin

Good eye Mike... thanks, I totally missed that. Guess I should use my reading glasses more often! :eek: Time to clean the camera, see you soon.

Mike Godwin
    Gatorland

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info sir appreciate it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike
    Lovely pose and a big wow on the breeding colors. To me, this looks almost oversharpened. I bounce back and forth on how much sharpening and am presently in more of a "smooth" phase than a "sharp" phase. With that said.....I like this one very much. I'll get my new pass at the end of March and see you the first of April for spring break......keep those birds happy!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the look. I started to look to see if I would like some of the bottom taken off, but the feather detail there is exquisite.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic pose, and I like the placement of the bird in the center of the frame. I agree with Lana about the bird appearing slightly oversharpened. I hope to make it out to Gatorland one of these days!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px