Thread: Typical BIRDS AS ART

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Typical BIRDS AS ART

Attached Images Attached Images

I got busted last night for posting two images in the same pane so I will go with just one tonight. This spoonie image was created on Mr. Shadle's new boat on Thursday morning. A young Bald Eagle repeatedly flushed the spoonbills as it patrolled the skies above Tampa Bay.

Canon 600mm f/4L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D MIII on an old Wimberley head atop a Gitzo CF 3530 LSV tripod. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 off the low blue sky set manually: 1/1250 sec. at f/8.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

The colors of this bird are amazing. I really like the light, pose and details. It could go a tad brighter for my taste and I would remove the longish bright spot on the bird's right leg just above the water line.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colours, detail and headturn are all perfect, the angle isn't too shady either. It could also go a tad lighter IMO and if you have it I could go for a bit more space all around. Love the water droplets below the beak. Sweet shot!

Jody Melanson

Great pose and eye contact. I would also like to see the face selectively brightened and a tad more blacks to the face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it!! What time did you freeze this bird?

Maxis Gamez

Love the pose, details and low angle. What I like the best is the water drops.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird frozen in time at 2008:02:19 08:027. I forgot to mention that this is about as large in the frame as I like when including the whole bird...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Todd Frost

I want my post back from last night ! After shoulder surgery I am in an immobilizer and typing one handed sucks:(. To summarize I thought this image was fantastic!
    Todd

Fabs Forns

Very nice, Maestro. Breathing feathers look a bit too pink to my old eyes :)

I want to go back so bad....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty, Artie--I like the fine detail in the feathers.

David Hemmings

Beautiful light, details and pose. I know this is minor and it is another spoonies reflection in the top right, might be tempted to clone that, but that is really getting nitty......beautiful.

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Classic Artie....The Drop of water on the Mandible makes the Shot...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Typical BIRDS AS ART.

Hi Artie
    Another truly stunning image.
    Here's my version with reduced contrast and brightness !!!
    Cheers: Ian Mc

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    The birght pink feathers are distracting and pulls away the attention from the eyes and beak of the bird. I would have liked a little toned down image.
    I don't know what you could have done....an environmental portrait with more of reflections? However, water was also not still...Despite having said all these, the photograph is nice. We are just nitpicking.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the comment above, the bright pink on the wing draws my attention, it seems to dominate the shot and takes my eyes away from the head of the bird. I like the water droplets and the angle of the light. Suggest cloning out the pinks in the top right and the black band behind the birds back.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird with beautiful colors, but i think I have to agree with a couple of posters. The intense brightness of color takes away from the image and looks over saturated. I think it needs to be toned back quite a bit.

wembley

c.w. moynihan

Fabulous color, pose and eye contact Artie !!! I wouldn't change a thing ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

This image is just dripping with color. I love it as is. The water drips and ruffled pink feathers on the bottom of the neck are extras that really add to the image.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all who posted. I disagree as far as the brightness; it looks perfect from here. In the original post I effectively de-SATed the reds of the scapulars about 8 points. I de-SATed them another 8 points in this version and got rid of the leg highlights as per Axel's request.

Later and love, artie

ps: In this version the carmine scaps look too subdued to me...

pps to Ian: Thanks for the repost. It looks a bit flat to me.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In this version I added 15 points of Cyan to the reds in Selective Color.

later and love, artie

ps: Not much of a difference.

pps: Final comment: dealing with really rich and highly SATed reds is somewhat of a problem...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the leg highlights didnt bother me. they are wet. he's in water. that's to be expected. i still like the first version better. nice image, btw.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie for acknowledging my attempt !!! LOL.
    I agree having lined up all 4 images in my viewer must admit all your images have more "Pop"
    My vote now goes to your 2nd ( Desat) image.
    Cheers: Ian Mc

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For my taste definitely the original image works. It has done in the first lights so nothing is wrong with it.
    I just wonder how you placed everything in the boat. :D
    Szimi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gyorgy Szimuly View Post
    For my taste definitely the original image works. It has done in the first lights so nothing is wrong with it. I just wonder how you placed everything in the boat. :D Szimi
    I agree Gyorgy; the first one does it best for me... There is tons of room in the new pontoon boat. We almost always get out of the boat to photograph the birds. Below is an image of me with the spoonies and the White Ibises. The image is courtesy of James Shadle.

later and love, artie