Thread: Jewel of Western ghats

saleeltambe

Default Jewel of Western ghats

Attached Images Attached Images

While co authoring the Book on Western ghats - I was always fascinated by this characteristic Specis of Western Ghats in India. Even after a lot of struggle and chasing - I could not obtain a decent image of this bird. Noe lately after about 6 yrs of publishing of the book - I could get at least some image of this exotic species. Location - Kerala, India.

Malabar Trogon - Harpactes fasciatus

Canon 40D, 500mm+1.4x, ISO 400, 1/ 500 f5.6, +1/3, Gitzo + Wimberly II head

Deborah Hanson

Focus and eye sharpness is good. Details in blacks are nice.
    If mine, I would crop more vertical to accent the tail.

Deb

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Woah ! The bird is awesome , light brilliant ! the OOF tree trunk in the BG distracts a bit , a stunner overall !!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Salil, I know how difficult these guys can be. I havent seen many photos of this species with that clean of a background. Exposure, sharpness and colors are excellent. The feel of the rainforest is there. liked that a lot. Vertical comp would have been better IMO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

True Jewel indeed Bhai, I too would be tempted to try a vertical crop, loved the colours and BG here.. congrats..

saleeltambe

I know- everyone obviously expects a vertical crop here..and I tried that as well- but it wasn't giving the feel of its habitat and the kind of " exploration" effect - which I experienced while photographing this species in the western ghat Canopy.
    So after a lot of thought - I changed the crop from Vertical to a horizontal one.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely fantastic - I was going to suggest a vertical but I think the horizontal is good - it shows a little habitat.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saleeltambe View Post
    So after a lot of thought - I changed the crop from Vertical to a horizontal one.
    Was this originally vertical out of the camera?? I too think it would look better as a vert... As is the tail is too close to the edge of the frame. HA could be better, but form the sounds of it this is not a bird that gives you many opportunities! Did you blur the BG in PS (it has a gaussian blur look to it...sorry if I am mistaken)?

Neat looking species, I love the blue extending from the bill to around the eye. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

saleeltambe

Daniel,
    Thanks for your inputs. The blur is a mixed effect of 500mm+1.4x at full open aperature. The background is actually a far side hill with trees having yellowish leaves . The bird was near the edge of the first hill and there was quite some empty space beyween the bird and the background hill - the effect is what you see here. I have used selective sharpening on the bird and Noise reduction and selective blurr (but not gausssian) on the BG. Hope this info helps.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your trip to India is worth it as i could see so many beautiful images from you lovely shot liked the colors very much

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saleeltambe View Post
    Daniel,
    Thanks for your inputs. The blur is a mixed effect of 500mm+1.4x at full open aperature. The background is actually a far side hill with trees having yellowish leaves . The bird was near the edge of the first hill and there was quite some empty space beyween the bird and the background hill - the effect is what you see here. I have used selective sharpening on the bird and Noise reduction and selective blurr (but not gausssian) on the BG. Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for the additional info!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful trogon, I also find the blue very attractive. And I am fine with your composition, I only wish the perch was not so prominent.