Thread: Mid Air Snail Exchange

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mid Air Snail Exchange

I have been photographing Snail Kites (North America's rarest bird of prey) regularly for about 5 years now, and I have seen and photographed pretty much all of their many interesting behaviors. I have tens of thousands of keeper Snail Kite images. Today I photographed a rare behavior for the first time. I have seen this behavior a couple of times, but not close enough to photograph it. During the Snail Kites courtship prior to nesting, the male will sometimes remove a snail from it's shell and then give the snail to the female. I have seen this when the male is perched and the female comes to him and gets the snail and I have also seen the male bring the snail to the perched female. Today I photographed a mid air presentation of the snail. The male did a courtship flight with the snail in his bill and then the female flew up to him and he presented the snail to her in mid air. This behavior is very rare and almost never witnessed. As far as I know, this is the only occurance that has been photographed. I hope you like it. It made my day. :) Thanks for looking.

Osceola County, FL - 1D Mark IV, 500mm+1.4xTC, hand held from boat, 1/2000, F6.3, ISO 640, manual exposure
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's one of those things that are awesome just to see, never mind capturing a good image of.

Justin Reznick

Amazing capture! Such a wonder to see such incredible action. Looking at the image without gawking at the capture, it would be great to have the bottom bird sharper, and the background division not cut through the subject. Congrats on an amazing image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mate, I am so happy for you; seeing that YOU captured the image/behavior made my day too!

When it comes to your images, the technicals and the fact that it is tack sharp is to be expected, AND again you didn't disappoint.

TFS - best regards :D
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim,

Pretty spectacular image Jim. An amazing capture indeed. Look forward to meeting you in person in April.

Dan

Aiden Blake

Pretty incredible action shot you've captured there. I can barely get the hang of BIF shots right now, let alone this stuff!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture, Jim. Great action shot.

jn

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your heart must have been pounding. My favorite part of the image is the male's talon holding here wing. Is that a young male. Congrats!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Your heart must have been pounding. My favorite part of the image is the male's talon holding here wing. Is that a young male. Congrats!
    My heart was pounding. It was the last day of a 5 day workshop and I had a full boat. The male is a young male. Sometimes they look alot like the females.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

david cramer

Congrats on a wonderful capture. Your back story about your work with the birds really helps set the stage for this dramatic image.

niranjan sant

MAGNIFICIENT ACTION PACKED IMAGE,THE BIRD RECIEVING THE FEED LOOKS LIKE JUV TO ME.AND THE HOLDING OF WING BY ADULT BIRD IS THE GOLDEN PART OF THE IMAGE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations. Awesome capture of rare behavior!
    It really pays to work long with a single species.

Markus

Ofer Levy

The interesting and rare behaviour makes up for the lass than perfect technical quality of this image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action frozen Jim bhai.. nice light too.. TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action and the two toned BG !!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Jim, this is some incredible action that you were able to capture. The male's talon holding the wing is really something special. Big congrats on this one.

saleeltambe

Amazing behaviour captured with all the perfection ! Everything seems to be just ideal !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

all has been said. a heart-stopping image Jim!! huge congrats, patience paid off...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

sandy richards

Spectacular capture, Jim!
    Cheers!
    Sandy