Thread: Swamp Harrier

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swamp Harrier

hey guys, first post from someone pretty new to bird photography and photography in general.
    took this while looking into the sun at sunset 2 days ago. would love to here to tips about it.
    exif:
    canon 40D
    90-300mm 4.5-5.6
    ISO- 400
    1/2500
    f7.1 @+2/3 exp. comp

Alfred Forns

Hi Edward, Neat bird Got him with a great head turn Light was not kind to you here For a backlit bird you need to crank up the compensation a lot more With Cloudy overcast I usually go 2 2/3 The sky will be totally blown but the bird will be properly exposed

If you have a strong light from the back it will be tough Hoping to see lots more !!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In spite of the severe underexposure I like it; the backlit eye just peeking out adds a bit of mystery... Oooooh...

lal, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

hugh robateau

As Al said, with that lighting you have to decide wether you want a well exposed bird or sky. I prefer a grey sky than totally white one, but I think the bird is more important so I would expose for the bird and let the sky go white (It happened to me on recent trip to Klamath Falls to shoot the eagles).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks guys. wow i can't believe art liked my photo. how very cool.
    I feel a bit ashamed that i posted an underexposed photo when all i know about bird photography comes from art's books...haha
    thanks all, i spose with this image its a decision between a silhouhette or a white background. thats why i decided to convert to B&W to work on the mystery side of the image.
    thanks again