Thread: Aussie forum seems quiet?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Aussie forum seems quiet?

Just wondering if there are active Aussies here still? Just joined tonight and am exploring but posts here in the Aussie part seem to be many months old, and some a couple of years old.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Kathie and welcome to BPN.
    I am in Sydney. But you'll find us more active ones in Avian or Eager To Learn forums. And Out Of The Box, which is AWESOME!
    I think people mostly post Aus/NZ specific questions etc here.
    Have a look around the mentioned boards. Don't be shy, if you don't want to jump in head-first, the Eager To Learn Critique forum is the best to get you started. If you need help drop me a PM or e-mail. This place is the best to improve one's photography. :)

OK, got to go home now and get some sleep, it's almost midnight. :eek:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Akos. It was actually an Aussie Photo Forum that told me about this place as I have an interest in bird photography. So I've been exploring.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, several of us living in Oz are quite active on the site. I live in a caravan and I am based on the Gold Coast, spend about six months in Oz and six months traveling the rest of the world. Looking forward to seeing your images.

A really nice guy and someone very active on BPN, Christopher Cooke, is from Melbourne. We have discussed getting together for a shoot if and when I make it to Melbourne. My wife's daughter and father are in the Melbourne area.

My best guess is I will not be there until early next year.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jay, I'm in Melbourne too - well, the outskirts. I live in the Dandenongs which is a great area for photography. Thanks for answering.

Lance Peters

hi katie - I am in Horsham but spend a lot of time in melbourne as well - the forum here doesn't get a lot of use must admit.
    We should try and organize a Ozzie BPN get together for a days shooting - the gang often do it over in florida :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds good Lance. I found out about a guest house in Apollo Bay today that purports to be a bird photographer's paradise. I emailed them to find out details as I thought it might be good to get a group together sometime.

Lance Peters

Quote Originally Posted by KathieThomas View Post
    Sounds good Lance. I found out about a guest house in Apollo Bay today that purports to be a bird photographer's paradise. I emailed them to find out details as I thought it might be good to get a group together sometime.
    Hi Kathie - do post the info when you get it - maybe we can get something get something together.
    :)

Lance Peters

Or even the Western Treatment Plant - I have a permit.

DanielTMiller

Great spot for bird watching, I go there heaps though I really need a longer lens, we have had a couple of get togethers though having more than 1 car seems to scare off lots of the birds.

Honestly though nothing can beat the birds in Tassie, so prolific and not shy at all, and all the mammals are amazing there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lance, oh Moderator, is there a way to do a search amongst the membership to identify all from Australia?

I just might breakdown and stay in Melbourne in October (26th) when we return from an Indonesian diving trip. The Garuda flight from Denpasar forces me to Melbourne.

Jackie is staying to visit with her reles; meeting with BPNers would be visiting with my reles! ;)

Perhaps a get together in the middle of Spring for a "HELLO" and a shoot could be arranged? Weekend of 30 October?

Yes, as travelers we are long-term planners!! :D
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Folks! I am new to BPN and bird photography, so am still finding my way around too. This is my first post. It is nice to know that there are others Oz bird photographers out there! Hope to catch up with you all sometime.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi all,
    Is there anyone else from Western Australia..? Do you know of any good sites for bird photography in WA??

DON RAILTON

Lance Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Handyside View Post
    Hi Folks! I am new to BPN and bird photography, so am still finding my way around too. This is my first post. It is nice to know that there are others Oz bird photographers out there! Hope to catch up with you all sometime.
    Hi Pam - a big warm welcome to the BPN family - looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Peters View Post

Where is it?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Peters View Post
    Hi Pam - a big warm welcome to the BPN family - looking forward to seeing some of your images.
    Hi Lance, Thankyou for the warm welcome. Great Kingfisher image - I have now added Daintree to my list of stops on the way to Cape York next year! Hopefully, by then I shall have a worthwhile image to post.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Railton View Post
    Hi all,
    Is there anyone else from Western Australia..? Do you know of any good sites for bird photography in WA??

DON RAILTON
    Hi Don, I was in WA last spring (Aug-Oct) - Cape Le Grand NP, Fitzgerald River NP and Stirling Ranges NP were great places for birds - and the wildflowers. Broome Bird Observatory is fantastic for wading, shore and migratory birds in spring. There is a lot of information at the Birding WA website (http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au/) on places to go and what species are there. Birds Australia has a section devoted to WA (http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/). Hope this is some help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info Pam and welcome.. I will check out the websites. I have been to the Stirlings but at the wrong time of the year apparently as I did not see much..

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Handyside View Post
    Hi Lance, Thankyou for the warm welcome. Great Kingfisher image - I have now added Daintree to my list of stops on the way to Cape York next year! Hopefully, by then I shall have a worthwhile image to post.
    Daintree is a must, Pam. I have a pdf on my website www.wildlight.co.nz from our last trip with some info for the Cairns/Daintree area if you are interested
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Whitehead View Post
    Daintree is a must, Pam. I have a pdf on my website www.wildlight.co.nz from our last trip with some info for the Cairns/Daintree area if you are interested
    Thankyou for the information Tony. Your pdf has some really great details and I will follow up the info in the BPN thread as well. I am going in May 2011 and was only going for two weeks, but I can see the trip easily turning into two months. Your kingfisher images are a great inspiration!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

2 months sounds great!! Envy:)
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

DanielTMiller

Where is it?
    It on the coast from Werribee all the way down to Point Cook.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Welcome Pam!