Thread: Low Angle Sanderling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Low Angle Sanderling

When taking low shots of shorebirds at the edge of the surf, I put on waterproof pants, a waterproof winter coat, neoprene gloves, and waterproof boots (bogs). I make sure my pants are nearly sealed to my boots, so no water gets in, and literally lay down at the very edge of the water. The edges of the waves literally flow under me, and as long as I pay attention and lift my camera at the right time, there are no problems. After a long walk through strong winds and bitter cold temperatures, this Sanderling was literally the only bird at the tip of Sandy Hook I could find. I tried to make the best of it.

Canon EOS 7D
    Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS

1/1600
    f/6.3
    400 mm
    ISO 200
    +1/3 EV

Deborah Hanson

For me, it's nice to see different angles and approaches to photos - creativity, I think it's called. The water looks almost cross-sectional. I think I might try to tone down some of the reflection spots.
    The bird pose is nice as well. Good detail in the feathers. Would it be possible to soften the shadows in the white underside a bit without blowing out the face?

Deb

Justin Reznick

This shot feels so fresh Ryan! You did an incredible job of keeping the entire bird in sharp focus and blurring the rest of the scene, especially with a shot from behind the bird. I love the creamy white crest flowing through. If I had to pick something to critique... maybe the uneven spots in the upper third of the image. An nice even non-distracting tone would be ideal. I'm loving this shot!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail in the subject and a good, seashore feel to this.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low shooting angle and basic composition ( I think this one would also work very fine with more room at the bottom, but just a personal taste). I like the eye contact and light. Well done!

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the wide crop and setting. If it were mine, I would crop some off the bottom and wish the head were parallel to the sensor.