Thread: Short-eared Owl - another try

Deborah Hanson

Default Short-eared Owl - another try

Attached Images Attached Images

This one is cropped a bit on both sides. Took it at 1/250, 8.0, 550mm, ISO 500, with the D700 and 200-400+1/4TC, and probably -10F below. I was usually able to get pretty close to the owls. I don't bait or use audio, just sit in my car for hours waiting.
    Worked with the background a bit (blurred with vignetting) and tried to get this one not as flat.

Thanks for comments
    Deb

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this. High key exposure on the background is nice. And is that snow on the face? Looks great. The wing tip looks slightly out of focus, but that serves only to emphasise the softness of the feathers. And the tail of the rodent is a wonderful detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that this is a wonderful image, love the look that the owl is giving you, the prey is nice and the bg is as well. I could see you cropping even a bit tighter, not sure that all that empty space adds much. But that's your call. Looking forward to more of your images!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Hanson View Post
    I was usually able to get pretty close to the owls. I don't bait or use audio, just sit in my car for hours waiting.
    That shows some locale is better than the other :)

Love the look, the light, and the details ! Like the background, too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Deborah,
    Good eye contact and the mouse really adds to it. You got your lighting good as well to show all the details. I think that I would have gone for a portrait style crop on this one which would have made the main subject larger in the frame. Looks like you got quite close so there probably wouldn't be any problem with loss in detail. I have lots of shots of these guys but not actually with a prey item like this. All in all a great shot. Congratulations!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image. Perch works well for me as it is pretty typical for many areas. I like the nice look back pose. I might consider a vertical crop if mine. Good for you and your patience. Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice interesting image. I think it wood also look good in a vertical composition?
    Ted

Deborah Hanson

Thanks everyone for taking time to comment.
    I will try in vertical crop. Although, I am never sure how much to crop if it will put the bird into the center of the photo.

Deb

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The eyes look nice and sharp, and I love the BG Deborah. I sort of like the horizontal, but wonder if a bit off the top would put more emphasis on the owl. Nicely done.

Kris Mortensen

Great shot, really like the intensity of the stare. Glad to see someone is able to get great owl shots without having to use audio. Well Done!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Vertical would definitely work better Deborah. Love it though, wonderful to see with the mouse and the fact you don't bait like I have seen quite a few people do for the sake of a shot, I really respect and appreciate that. Not that what I say or feel really matters in the overall scheme of things.

There is a small white speck in its left eye, which I'd remove and probably lighten its right eye a little. Well done.

Axel Hildebrandt

Your patience was really rewarded. I like the eye contact, light and could see this as a vertical crop, too.